Which way do the bearing seals go!?

benspray

All done :)

Feels like a new bike, maybe 2mm free play now at the wheel rather than over 10, also has a totally supple and squeek free rear end now - problem is now I'll have to re-learn my balance as it feels totally different...

Front end next as theres a bit of play somewhere there - not starting that until after the weekend though :)

Better hope it runs after I rebuilt the carb too - too late to start it up tonight!

Cheers for all the replies.

Ben

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thread very informative, its something I plan to do in the near future with

one of the service free dogbones.

Was just wondering while i'm doing that should I replace the swinging arm ones? hwo many are

there on the swinging arm? and how can you tell if they are shot!

ta in advance

Guy

Hi Guy,

Theres 2 in each of the legs of the swingarm (assuming you mean the ones that the swing arm pivots on and not the ones the linkage plates go onto)

On mine at least these were a caged type bearing rather than the full compliment ones in the dogbone/linkage - I would think again its just a case of looking/feeling for any free play there - while you have the linakge all apart its not much more work to remove the swingarm to check and regrease/replace as needed, make sure the bearing sleeves are rust free as I would think they will eat the inner seals - I took a dremel with a brass brush and gave them a good clean up, came up nearly like new and should help the seals in the longer term - looking at the seals and the fact they are quite well out of the way of any direct abuse I would think these bearings probably last some time - Plus I cant see theres anywhere near the load applied to them that the dogbone bearings see, so if they feel ok they probably are I would guess.

Id say whatever you do its worth pulling the swingarm pivot bolt and checking/cleaning up and sticking some antiseize of some sort on there as it passes through a couple of steel sleeves in the engine case as well as the 2 bearing sleaves in the swingarm - being steel itself its likely to rust in place - this is a common problem with the XR250R that I ride and its a similar design to the Mont...

I'm sure people with some more experiance will clarify things though.... :)

Cheers

Ben

Yeh i would take the swing arm off and grese the mAin bolt where it goes through the motor. At the same time stick one of the bolts from the linkage through the swingarm and. Heck for play do the same to the bottom and top of the suspension on the rose bush bearings