Saracen production

ronald

• 3 months later...

Hi. My name is Ron Goodfellow and I designed and built the Saracen motorcyles in the late sixties. We built about three hundred in all of various types most of them being exported to the USA. We also exported to France and Sweden. Frank Underwood and I started the company which grew from a hobby and a lot of enthusiasm. The original prototype was a BSA bantam engined version but we could not acquire British engines and opted for the Sachs motor, initially the Iron engine but later the aluminium engine. We also built a few Triumph tiger cubs, I know one is still going. We also designed a spine framed 100cc Hodaka engined trail bike. I can attach a few photographs.

My daughter found this web site and it is ironic that only this week I have finished rebuilding one of the trials bikes with alloy motor and reed valve, amazing improvement. I still enjoy my motorcycling mostly touring but have competed in pre 65 trials until fairly recently on a 350cc enfield/saracen special. I am unable at the moment to include the photographs but as soon as I figure it out I will post them. Feet up!! If anyone wants to get in touch my Email address is rongoodfellow@gmail.com

Hello

When I was 16 I in 1973 I bought a Saracen 125 with the Sachs engine. I bought it from mr Lars Ingvarsson in V

• 3 months later...

Getting around to finishing my Saracen. The forks that came with the bike seem to be from a Sprite 125 MX. What forks came with the early iron barreled bikes?

MP forks(Metal Profile)

Chrs:Mike

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Another picture from my offroadarchive, just to help several recent Saracen queries, it shows Jack Galloway n his works Saracen in the 1971 SSDT.

The full article on the Saracen models that I wrote and published in my Motorcycle Competition - Reference Library Vol. 2. - will shortly be available on the offroadarchive website.

Enjoy the picture.

post-19290-0-04079700-1388219218_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Another Saracen image for the 'enthoosers'.

Jon Bliss in action on his works bike in the 1970 Knot Trophy, photographed by Alan Vines - another image from my offroadarchive.

Sorry - this image was scanned many years ago from a strip of black/white 35mm film - and sadly the film was inserted in the scanner, back to front, so the image is transposed.

See below for the corrected version.

Apologies,

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-74575000-1388330787_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

and another, hopefully thought provoking, image from my offroadarchive, the original prototype Saracen, based around a Bantam 'power' unit.

Enjoy

What a right looking trials bike that is, the low slung tank, ample ground clearance & light build I would ride that as it is any day.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

For anyone interested in more details of the Saracen production story, including images of the variants, I have revised the article from my "Motorcycle Competition - reference library Vol. 2", included some additional images and republished it in Issue 3 of ORRe, available exclusively from 'tc' - full details in the Off Road Revue discussion section of the Off Road Archive.

Enjoy.

Deryk Wylde