tube into tubeless rim?

twinkletoes

As a temporary fix till I can obtain a new wheel i am thinking of putting a tube into the rear wheel.This is because i am fed up of try trying to get it to hold air with a new rim tape/sikaflex/pair of grannys old tights/wax from an otters fur/etc etc etc

Will use an old rim tape with the valve cut out to protect it from the spoke heads and to act as a gripper for the tube.

What does anybody reckon - will this work to get me through a few trials? apart from nipping the tube what should i look out for?

Thanks

As a temporary fix till I can obtain a new wheel i am thinking of putting a tube into the rear wheel.This is because i am fed up of try trying to get it to hold air with a new rim tape/sikaflex/pair of grannys old tights/wax from an otters fur/etc etc etc

Will use an old rim tape with the valve cut out to protect it from the spoke heads and to act as a gripper for the tube.

What does anybody reckon - will this work to get me through a few trials? apart from nipping the tube what should i look out for?

Thanks

Perfectly acceptable fix. The only thing you can't do, it use a tube tyre on a tubless rim as it just slips around.

You probably won't need to damage the valve, simply unbolt it and use it again if needed.

Pete

I agree. My practice wheel has a tube in it as I just can't be bothered to waste a tube of Dr Sludge in an effort to get a good seal. I must have ridden 100 hours plus on it and it's never slipped or burst. I accept you can't ride with as low a psi and perhaps the tyre doesn't work as well but not all of us are riding in the world champs are we.

I have been running a tube in my tubeless rear wheel for a while now and it seems fine, I have run pressures as low as 1.5psi on a really muddy trial with rocks and the tube did not puncture or anything and after the trial I pumped it up to my normal river riding 5 - 6psi and it stayed at that untill the next time it was muddy.

Cheers Brad.