Ideal pre 65 light hubs

howard

What are the best light, with 'good' brakes, pre 65 hubs for 36 spoke, 21" and 18" rims please? I'd like to avoid the heavy BHC hubs.I'm refurbishing a 1964 DOT and would like to know what best to look for?

Also, is a 21x1.4" front rim OK for a modern trials tyre or does it have to be 1.6"?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by howard

Best and lightest and incidentally "Scottish acceptable" are the ones that Alan Whitton Race Engineering do. Billet alloy as are the brake plates, s/s cams and levers the dogs danglies. He can also do you alloy spindles to suit.

I have them fitted to my James and with soft linings machined to suit are superb.

What are these soft linings you speak of.Have they a trade name so i can get my local brake guy to use them

Speak to Ian at Classic Brake Services. Send him your old brake shoes and he will reline them. Make sure you ask him to fit oversize linings then machine them to suit the actual dia of your hub. Much much improved brakes result!!!