4RT Fuel Pump

jbrownmxr

Put my 2006 4RT away a few weeks ago running. Would not start today. Tore into it a bit and discovered it had spark and would fire with starter fluid. Further investigation reveled that the pump did not go on with 12V dc. No noise, no fuel no nothing. Before I send someone a whole pile of $$$ is there anything Im missing?

Jason

Edited by jbrownmxr

Put my 2006 4RT away a few weeks ago running. Would not start today. Tore into it a bit and discovered it had spark and would fire with starter fluid. Further investigation reveled that the pump did not go on with 12V dc. No noise, no fuel no nothing. Before I send someone a whole pile of $$$ is there anything Im missing?

Jason

There are many reasons why the fuil pump may not be running i would not run out and perchase a pump until it has been checked out by some one with the corect gear you may be wasting your money

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my 4rt.

The cost to purchase a new pump was prohibitive in North America.

BVM Moto in the UK was far more affordable, with the pump costing only $397 Canadian. This includes shipping, which took only a week using the postal service.

BVM Moto's service was excellent. Worked out all the details via email. They were very prompt responding to my queries. Sure won't hesitate to contact them again for parts. Although I ordered numerous spare parts with the pump so hopefully won't need more parts soon.

If you are still having the starting problem, try cleaning the fuel filters.

There two filters, one at the bottom of the pump, looks like a tea bag, can be removed from the pump by carefully prying off the clip that holds it on. The other filter is round and part of the fuel line that comes out of the top of the pump. Blow compressed air in the opposite direction of the fuel flow to clean it.

Cleaning the filters solved my starting problem for 2 1/2 yrs, then the pump failed, and I needed a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the pump back. Bike starts, but, only idles. Falls on it's face at quarter throttle or higher. Guy that fixed it said old pump was very dirty and he usually cleans injectors too. He's 6 hours away so thiscwas not an option. I have a good injector on the way . Well see if this solves the problems. Ugh...more to comer.

Finally got the pump back. Bike starts, but, only idles. Falls on it's face at quarter throttle or higher. Guy that fixed it said old pump was very dirty and he usually cleans injectors too. He's 6 hours away so thiscwas not an option. I have a good injector on the way . Well see if this solves the problems. Ugh...more to comer.

New injector solved nothing. Weird. I'm going to talk with the guy that repaired pump and see what he thinks. Saga continues. Belch.....

New injector solved nothing. Weird. I'm going to talk with the guy that repaired pump and see what he thinks. Saga continues. Belch.....

Have you tried the self diagnosis tool to test the electrical?

Have you installed a tank and injector from another 4rt that you know works right?

Were the fuel filters cleaned when the pump was cleaned?

• 6 years later...

I found this thread when I was looking for options for replacing the fuel pump on my 2005 4RT.  I'd thought I'd share what I found in case it could help someone else.  I figured out that the fuel pump for a 2006 Honda CBR600F4i had the same dimensions and looked like the same connector as the pump in the 4RT, so I ordered one on amazon for $17.  The fuel screen that comes with it was too big, so I re-used the old one, but it all works fine.  much better than spending $1000.  Here's some pics of the 2 pumps side by side.

IMG_20171206_193746.jpg

IMG_20171206_193752.jpg

IMG_20171206_193834.jpg

IMG_20171206_195830.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jimmyl said:

I’m sure the new pumps on the 260 and 300 are on a Honda road bike somewhere if somebody had the time and access to all the info.

I've already looked into this a little. The 2016 and later bikes use a P.N. 16700-NX7-003 fuel pump assembly. This is originally from the 2012 HRC NSF250R road racer. In the Montesa parts lists, it's just shown as a complete assembly. But in the 2012 NSF250R parts list, the assembly is broken down into component parts. The NSF250R break-out doesn't show a separate number for the pump itself, but it does show the number of the teabag filter kit (includes filter and o-rings for reassembly) which is 06160-MEN-A31. That filter assembly comes from the 2009-2010 CRF450R, so it is widely available.

This may be of interest if anyone is looking to replace the filter assembly on their 2016+ 4RT260 or 300RR.

Edited by sportsawyer
  • Like 4