what bike for a 6 year old

essexukay

I am currently looking for a trials bike for my six year old son. He is big for his age and .not ridden a motorbike before. Do i go for a twist and go (beta mini or gas gas 50) or a bike with gears( beta rev 50).He sits on my lap on my bike and has got to grips with the clutch and throttle. Also is the beta minitrial the same size as a beta rev 50? He has sat on a gas gas 50 and is the perfect size for him. What do i do? Heard bad things about the electrics on a gas gas and not willing to pay silly season prices.

Personally I would go for the Beta Rev 50 geared bike, my lad started trials at 6 years of age and rode a Honda crf 50 it was geared but with no clutch lever, a year later I bought him a TXT Gas Gas 50 had loads of electrical problems,but I think the models from 2006 are ok,I bought him the Rev 50 geared bike and within the hour he had got the hang of it,we kept it for 18 months it never let us down, the Beta minitrial is smaller and probably ideal for Youth D, hope this helps.

Don't discount the OSET at this age if you feel the REV50/GAS GAS Cadet 50 too big. The OSET has advantages as it can be used in a garden or field without attracting Plod's attention. It is also easier to transport and you don't need the "backup" bits a Petrol engined bike has.

Buy the bike that fits him. Don't worry too much that he'll grow out of it in a year, if you look after it you'll get most or all of your money back.

Learning on a bike that's too big just means he'll fall off more, will get hurt more, won't be able to pick it up or start it himself and won't enjoy it as much as he thought he would.

I bought my 6 year old a Sherco 50, he too is one of the biggest in his class, the Sherco fits him better.

2 Things I don't like about the Sherco:

• It has drum brakes. 6 year olds don't have hands big or strong enough to stop quickly with drums, the discs on his Oset sre far more effective. I think some of the bikes now have a footbrake for the rear - even better.
  • It has an automatic clutch. Automatic clutches will disengage as the revs drop, this means shutting the throttle going down steep hills can disengage the engine from the back wheel - the bike will then run away and then we're back to the drum brake problem.

I think if I was buying again, I'd look for disk brakes on a bike that fits or is even a bit small for him. Gears and clutch are pretty easy to learn.

Don't discount the OSET at this age if you feel the REV50/GAS GAS Cadet 50 too big. The OSET has advantages as it can be used in a garden or field without attracting Plod's attention. It is also easier to transport and you don't need the "backup" bits a Petrol engined bike has.

I'd agree with the above, my boy has had one for a couple of years (he's 7 now), he loves it and it pulls very well for the sort of sections the wee guys try.... also now avail in 36v

Personally I would go for the Beta Rev 50 geared bike, my lad started trials at 6 years of age and rode a Honda crf 50 it was geared but with no clutch lever, a year later I bought him a TXT Gas Gas 50 had loads of electrical problems,but I think the models from 2006 are ok,I bought him the Rev 50 geared bike and within the hour he had got the hang of it,we kept it for 18 months it never let us down, the Beta minitrial is smaller and probably ideal for Youth D, hope this helps.

[/

Do you know if the rev 50 is much bigger than a mini trial?

To be honest I can't remember the size difference between the mini and the 50 as it was some time ago, last week at our local trial there was alot of mini and beta 50's but I didn't take much notice, I do remember visiting the Beta stand at the dirt bike show about 5 years ago to look at the bikes we discarded the mini trial bike straight away it was too small my lad was approx 4ft tall then, John Lampkin told me that the mini bike was ok for a while and advised that we went for a geared 50, kids of that age soon get to grips with it if they are interested.

I would suggest that you go to a local trial and check out the youngsters bikes and compare them, they may even let your lad have a ride, if your lad is tall for his age I would say the geared 50 if he is comfortable with it, it will also mean one less bike to purchase.

To be honest I can't remember the size difference between the mini and the 50 as it was some time ago, last week at our local trial there was alot of mini and beta 50's but I didn't take much notice, I do remember visiting the Beta stand at the dirt bike show about 5 years ago to look at the bikes we discarded the mini trial bike straight away it was too small my lad was approx 4ft tall then, John Lampkin told me that the mini bike was ok for a while and advised that we went for a geared 50, kids of that age soon get to grips with it if they are interested.

I would suggest that you go to a local trial and check out the youngsters bikes and compare them, they may even let your lad have a ride, if your lad is tall for his age I would say the geared 50 if he is comfortable with it, it will also mean one less bike to purchase.

My daughter is five years old and the smallest in her class at school, she longs for a Gas Gas 50 Boy auto but for now her Oset is perfect. No kick starting, no gears, no hot parts, no petrol, no hassle from the ramblers when she is on a cycle path, no hassle from the neighbours when she is riding around the back garden.

Using her class E licence, she's riddenion 10 trials this year which she could not have entered on an engine bike.

The Oset is perfect for her.

Her is a picture of her on her dream bike. A couple of years away at least.

049.jpg

i think I will have a go for the the beta 50 with gears thanks,just to find one now. I think he we be ok size wise as he is in clothes for a 8-10 year old. Then somehow hide it till xmas.Will let you know how i get on.he has sat on a gas gas 50 and a sherco 50 and he looks a bit small for them already.Is a trial near clacton tomorrow, may go and have a look at whats about.Hopefully he will love it as much as your little one.

Thanks