Dismantling TY250 mono forks

old trials fanatic

How do i remove / dismantle the fork legs on a TY250 mono? I seem to remember a while back that there was a special tool required to go down the inside of the tube to lock it then you can undoo the bolt that goes up through the bottom of the slider. Be damned if i can find it though.

Anybody have any details.

:wacko: If my memory serves me right there is an internal splined nut inside the fork leg. A piece of box section filed down to sharp edges works fine. I think 25mm but maybe 20mm. Leave long enough to have one end fit in a vice and the other inside the fork leg. Then you can undo end bolt.

If you use an air gun or get the use of one with a good fitting allen socket in the bottom it should be quick enough to zip it out and not need to hold the gubbins in the leg. Can't remember if they have a circlip to hold the seal though. :thumbup:

Socket set long extention bar worked for me (before I had a tool made)

Use a buzz gun if possible on the fork bottom allen head bolt

The air gun is the easiest way to spin off that basebolt, and install it if you know what setting to use on the gun.

In a pinch, a sharpened broom handle will work on damper rod forks like the TY.

Jon

If you want the previous threads on this topic just search the Yamaha forum for the word broom and it will return 4 topics with the info your after.

Best investment you can make is with Machine Mart for their electric cordless impact driver for about

As Woody says, impact wrench is the way forward...I use an air one but if you have no comp a cordless one is just as good.

I take it your replacing the oil seal?.....if so leave stantion in yoke clamped up lift dust cover off lower leg, take out large circlip and undo lower leg bolt (with said gun) and pull leg off...it will take a couple of taps to get the seal out before the leg slides off.

A bit of a tip for putting a new seal in, I found a nice lenght of 40mm plastic drainage pipe is just the job as a drift for the new seal

I take it your replacing the oil seal?.....if so leave stantion in yoke clamped up lift dust cover off lower leg, take out large circlip and undo lower leg bolt (with said gun) and pull leg off...it will take a couple of taps to get the seal out before the leg slides off.

It's always a good idea to use a little heat on the upper part of the lower leg to break the seal/leg bond. Sometimes the seal will be stuck enough to damage the upper leg bushing Teflon coating when the tubes are snapped apart.

Jon

Almost forgot, to keep from damaging the seal lips when sliding it on the upper tube, cut the corner off a plastic sandwich bag (like a three-cornered hat) and put it on the upper tube, the seal will slide right on.

Edited by JSE

It's always a good idea to use a little heat on the upper part of the lower leg to break the seal/leg bond. Sometimes the seal will be stuck enough to damage the upper leg bushing Teflon coating when the tubes are snapped apart.

Jon

Almost forgot, to keep from damaging the seal lips when sliding it on the upper tube, cut the corner off a plastic sandwich bag (like a three-cornered hat) and put it on the upper tube, the seal will slide right on.

Nice tip with the heat gun Jon :guinness: I have a handy roll of old brown parcel tape to keep the new seals from getting damaged :rolleyes: