Are they all the same?

redcota

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a Bultaco and was wondering if there is a model year or size that I should stay away from because of mechanical or ..... problems? I understand that they turn like a dream, just what I need where we compete in the Sierra Nevada's (Lake Tahoe area). Thanks for your time. john

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a Bultaco and was wondering if there is a model year or size that I should stay away from because of mechanical or ..... problems? I understand that they turn like a dream, just what I need where we compete in the Sierra Nevada's (Lake Tahoe area). Thanks for your time. john

Yes, the 2001 was a much better bike! :thumbup:

I have ridden at Donner several times on both an M49 and an M92 and either were far more capable than I. I really do appreciate the extra torque of the 325cc M92 at the elevation, although I do weigh more than I should. <_<

But the truth is there isn't such a thing as a bad Sherpa T.

Yes they are all nice and there are no dud models as far as reliability goes. Do remember that the production of Sherpa Ts spanned about 17 years so you can expect that the earliest models will weigh a few kg more and have less ground clearance than the last models. Many technology and design improvements were introduced throughout those years but overall it was gradual evolution not radical change at any stage. To list all the changes over the years would be quite a list. If you are really interested, buy a copy of the book "historia de la sherpa T" by Francois Stauffacher. It is written in Spanish and English, well illustrated and msny of the changes are mentioned. There are quite a few minor detail changes that are not mentioned but the book tries to link changes to model designations, and in many cases the changes were just implemented at the convienience of the manufacturer as they became available, rather than waiting for the next model designation to be made.

If you want the most competitive bike, go for the late models. Fortunately not everyone wants the late models so you see people enjoying Sherpa Ts that were made throughout the 17 years.

As Dave said if you are heavy and/or ride at very high altitude or only do free riding, the 325 and 340 motors will pull harder than the 250s and 238s. If you are lightweight or not fit and want to compete in trials then the smaller motors will be easier on your body for kickstarting and riding in tight sections.

Wow what a deal! $3500. for a rolling piece of nostalgia. I think this rare example of motorcycle history should be preserved in a museum or someones home. Thanks for thinking of me though, I think I'll pass.

Edited by redcota