yet another - what van - sorry

hoggyf

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm testing a Toyota HiAce next weekend at the local dealer. Better variant appears to be LWB 300 2.5 Diesel 117 BHP.

I've run a 54 plate Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDi 110 BHP diesel for 6 years from brand new, it takes three people, three bikes (two loaded facing forward and one facing aft) with all the usual kit and kiboodle, good on fuel MPG, no real issues until recently when the front brakes kept binding after pads and discs fitted. Seems to be OK now. Apart from annual service, replaced a battery, faulty alternator at 6 months old (under warranty) exhaust (but not CAT) and full set of tyres.

Only really used for carry bikes to events, fully lined with ply and I used floor covering that they use in lifts and this ensures the bikes don't creep when being transported.

Its done 44,000 miles since new, but fancy a change and Toyota looks best on reliability, but negative points seem to be poor fuel consumption, not a real issue for me personally and being RWD not good on grassy surfaces, I'd keep a tow rope under the seat!

But literally everyone I have spoken to cannot speak any more highly of the Toyota Hiace. Run for ages, no real common issues. Also local business has a constant fleet of 6 of them for electrical work, they keep ordering "same again".

I've looked into the Vivaro; Trafic etc, just lost interest, not interested thank you, too many issues not considering any of that variant, good size, but that's about it.

Big John

Hope you like the test drive

Mine is 8 years old, 45000miles and has just gone through its 5th MOT at the main Toyota dealer.............absolutely nothing needed and no advices

Still on same pads/discs, shoes/drums and tyres....................not even a wiper blade has been replaced............from new

Fuel.............I get 35mpg on a m/way run at 70mph+

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Hope you like the test drive

Mine is 8 years old, 45000miles and has just gone through its 5th MOT at the main Toyota dealer.............absolutely nothing needed and no advices

Still on same pads/discs, shoes/drums and tyres....................not even a wiper blade has been replaced............from new

Fuel.............I get 35mpg on a m/way run at 70mph+

I dont think thats a fair comparison to 99.9% of other vans,8 Years &45000 miles is not "typical". My primastar was on original discs & rear tyres when sold at85000miles and 3 years old.

I dont think thats a fair comparison to 99.9% of other vans,8 Years &45000 miles is not "typical". My primastar was on original discs & rear tyres when sold at85000miles and 3 years old.

Maybe not.....................but it's true :thumbup:

And it equates to the use that Big John was asking about Toyota's, as we both only use them for private use :closedeyes:

Edited by Johnnyboxer

45k on a diesel your still running it in.

Got 155k on a 2 year old little Ford Transit connect,just front brake pads changed and a few sets of tyres,still feels and drives like new.

I've gone down the french route before,there dislike for the brits shinned on that one.

Edited by bilc0

Maybe not.....................but it's true :thumbup:

And it equates to the use that Big John was asking about Toyota's, as we both only use them for private use :closedeyes:

Fair point, I know that isn't ahigh miler for a diesel, but like bikes, I have more than one four wheeled vehicle at my disposal!

I'll let you know what I think of the Toyota soon.

Big John

From my side of things i have never had a problem with any of the toyota vans i have had, i bought my first one as i had the chance of buying a new one and at the time they were so much cheaper than anything else around at the time 8.5k bought a new van or a 3/4 year old van, i do change the oil more often than the book says, but in twenty years not had a problem, although i dont thrash my van,only slight niggle on the newer vans colour coded bumpers no good when putting bike in and out,newer ones are quicker than the old, lwb van has a more powerful engine, its the same shape as for a good few years but why change if it aint broke, you don,t see that many unless your up and down m18 all the mobile fish merchants run them,

Had to smile the other day driving home through M18 roadworks and there was the above fish van, complete with reg no. ending in COD

Thought I'd let you guys know that i took the plunge and bought a Citroen Dispatch 2005 ex waterboard van 2.0HDI only got it last night so a bit soon to say what its really like but it definately pulls well, sat at 90 on the motorway no bother, just crusing along really so pretty pleased at the mo.

I'll post up a bit more of a report in a couple of weeks if anyones interested.

Ta for all of the opinions etc.

• 1 month later...

Bit more info for anyone who's interested (probably no-one by know - lol)

Averaged 35mpg over the 1st couple of tankfulls which is a mix of 85mph trip to Birmingham and the remainder around town so don't think that was too bad really.

Very comfortable to drive and with it being the Hdi its got the power to pass stuff easily without dropping a gear or clenching yer cheeks. It handles well without being too bouncy, thougth the dashboard gearbox would be weird but its really quite good, heater takes a bit to warm up from cold but once going its fine. I definately miss having central locking - its pain having to check every door (6)!! theres plenty of room for me and my 2 kids in the front (ages 9 & 11) despite what it looks like. The right hand side handbrake takes a bit to get used to - I've forgotten to put it ona couple of times - oops!! luckily I always leave vehicles in gear and it was on the flat anyway.

Haven't tried a sports bike in it yet but i think it might just fit crossways.

All in all I think this is to be reccomended.

Thanks for the input before and as I said I hope this is of use to some of you.