Is it worth it?

danster

I will be possibly looking at a fantic 403 monoshock aircooled drum brakes, as a beginner could I get through a few years of trials, and ridding with the locals and maybe at my first couple of events with this bike. Or is it hard to compete with the older bikes and a waste of time and money (tight) should I save for longer and get a newer bike or if it is in good shape go for it? Do any of you compete with your bikes and do OK?

Dan

Edited by Danster

if you are just a beginner it will be hard work.you are better buying a modern bike.buy as good a bike you can afford , it will pay its way in the long run.if you buy an old bike to start with its hard to ride and could sometimes put you of trials.hope this helps willie.

It doesn't look like that is a common class. Are you pulling my leg? As a mono I would have to compete in a normal class Beginner/novice but at that level it should be OK the bike will not be the issue? I think I should just get a bike that will not take lots of work to ride and ride/learn.

Save yer money and get as new as you can, i spent a small fortune restoring my old twin shock, then tried a newer bike and the difference is miles apart. the newer bikes are more robust as well.

New bikes more robust - I dont think so.

• 3 months later...

New bikes more robust - I dont think so.

Yeah I agree, newer bikes are much more fragile than the old twin shockers and air cooled mono's. You could throw those old ones down rock faces and pick them up and have very little damage. Try that with a modern bike Edited by fergie

I reckon it comes down to what you prefer [looks, technology, condition] and how mechanical you are?

I have a twin shocker because i was introduced to the sport after selling an old Bultaco and one of my first bikes was a Bully.

Because I'm older i like the look of twin shockers and get how to do some of the simpler maintenance tasks plus I rub elbows with guys who like the older ones too.

However if its just a price thing I would be looking at the most reliable and best condition bike you can afford.

A low hour anything already to compete is a bargain compared to doing one up....

Also non stop trials on a twin shocker is a different sport to contemporary style....more flowing and more cornering skills and handling than the newer stuff.

Good luck with the decisions.