Need help with a Montesa Cota

andyswift

003.jpg

I acquired this bike some 7 years ago from a very good friend who said, get it going and its yours for your son to ride it when hes old enough to. I did but my friend was tradicly killed 6 months later in a bike accident. I ran the bike for a couple of years after that, replaced the points and plug but then its been in storage for some years and I am struggling to start it.The condensor has been checked and is ok. I dont know exactly what model it is, or the engine size. The engine number shows 29MO2718** the ** may be only scratches and not part of the serial number.

I want to restore the bike back to its original condition as I promised this to my son who is now big enough to ride it.

I want to start with some billy basics ie, plug? what do i use and what is the gapping, also dos anyone know the gapping for the points so i can try that, The model and cc would also be appreciated

005.jpg

004.jpg

Thank you!!

Andy

003.jpg

I acquired this bike some 7 years ago from a very good friend who said, get it going and its yours for your son to ride it when hes old enough to. I did but my friend was tradicly killed 6 months later in a bike accident. I ran the bike for a couple of years after that, replaced the points and plug but then its been in storage for some years and I am struggling to start it.The condensor has been checked and is ok. I dont know exactly what model it is, or the engine size. The engine number shows 29MO2718** the ** may be only scratches and not part of the serial number.

I want to restore the bike back to its original condition as I promised this to my son who is now big enough to ride it.

I want to start with some billy basics ie, plug? what do i use and what is the gapping, also dos anyone know the gapping for the points so i can try that, The model and cc would also be appreciated

005.jpg

004.jpg

Thank you!!

Andy

Hi Andy

Ita a cota 200 and is 175cc.

The first thing to check is there a spark if so and it wont start check the timing now im not 100% what it should be but 2mm btdc is a safe place to start. if the timing is way out wip the flywheel off and check the woodruff key is intact.

Google "todo trial" you may be able to download a owners handbook from that site.

I have a cota 200 I got cheep as a non runner and it was just the woodruff key.

Good bike but the kickstarter is a weak point so dont jump on it as parts are impossible to find and they can jump out of gear in steep climbs.

James

Hi Andy

Ita a cota 200 and is 175cc.

The first thing to check is there a spark if so and it wont start check the timing now im not 100% what it should be but 2mm btdc is a safe place to start. if the timing is way out wip the flywheel off and check the woodruff key is intact.

Google "todo trial" you may be able to download a owners handbook from that site.

I have a cota 200 I got cheep as a non runner and it was just the woodruff key.

Good bike but the kickstarter is a weak point so dont jump on it as parts are impossible to find and they can jump out of gear in steep climbs.

James

Hi James!

Many thanks for your fast reply, so a Cota 200. 175HP, i didnt know!

There is a spark at the plug but it dosnt bridge between the core and tip, will only spark from the external body to the bike body, thats why I know it needs a new plug. What plug do you run yours on? Also have some issues with the wiring loop end, not sure whats meant to be running from what?, any help would be very much apprieciated!!

Thanks

Andy

If it ran before than just sat I would not go pulling the flywheel just yet!

Fresh plug, clean carb, clean tank, fresh gas. Bet it purrs like a kitten!

While your working on the above...put a lil marvel mystery oil in the cylinder. Or at least some 2 stroke oil, spin it over a bit and let it set while you work on cleanin stuff up!

Way cool bike! I could only dream of such stuff when I was a kid! Parents wanted no part of 2 wheel motor toys! hah.

Edited by sherco29

Hi

The wire for the coil is the black one all the others are for lights and not needed. As or the plug Iwill have to look it up.B6ES with a 0.5nn gap :thumbup:

Many thanks for that information!! May need somemore help with the electic loop hope you can help?

The main loom that comes from the bottom end has a pink, yellow, black and green cable that goes into a female conection block. The black cable has a return black connection, the green has a green return connection. The pink has a seperate female connection spade and the yellow just goes into the large female block. From the two wires remaining do you know which wire goes to the condensor and which to the dead man switch, i have a choice or green, black and the spare pink one?

Sorry for all the questions, need to sort it out

Many thanks again!

Andy

The black is the only wire you need to worry about tape the others up and feed the black to the coil. the stop switch simply connects to the black and if a second wire is present on the switch this goes to earth. The other cables are varoius feeds to the headlight, electric horn, tail light, stop lamp ect.

If you PM me with your email adress i can send you a parts book and manual, I have one of these almost ready after a full and expnsive rebuild!!!

Ian

Many thanks Ian, e-mail address is swifts57@tiscali.co.uk

Please can you mark subject as Montesa Manual

Thanks again

Andy

The black is the only wire you need to worry about tape the others up and feed the black to the coil. the stop switch simply connects to the black and if a second wire is present on the switch this goes to earth. The other cables are varoius feeds to the headlight, electric horn, tail light, stop lamp ect.

Many thanks again Jimbo!

Seems to be wired up as you have said, only one wire from the stop button that is connected to the black anyway. The switch earths through the strap to the handlebar. Waiting for the sparkplugs, will gap and use new fuel, and maybe blow the needle valves out in the carb!

Thanks for you time, its been really appreciated

Regards,

Andy

Many thanks again Jimbo!

Seems to be wired up as you have said, only one wire from the stop button that is connected to the black anyway. The switch earths through the strap to the handlebar. Waiting for the sparkplugs, will gap and use new fuel, and maybe blow the needle valves out in the carb!

Thanks for you time, its been really appreciated

Regards,

Andy

Jimbo, its running, many,many thanks!

Combination of a duff plug, wired up wrong and cleans fuel

Regards,

Andy

Many thanks Ian, e-mail address is swifts57@tiscali.co.uk

Please can you mark subject as Montesa Manual

Thanks again

Andy

Ian many thanks for the Manual information, it has been a great help and the bike is now going, do you know what the compression reading should be as I have a compression tester, just want to check.

Many thanks again!!

Andy!!

• 5 months later...

If you PM me with your email adress i can send you a parts book and manual, I have one of these almost ready after a full and expnsive rebuild!!!

Ian

Hi Ian,

Picked up a 200 Cota for my 14 year old son. In pretty good shape. I could use a copy of the manual if you would be so kind. Also looking for a piston. Know of any goods sources for one?

Best Regards,

Jeff

jeff_durant@comcast.net