Beta Gear problems?

benwall

Hi benwall

The problem is a weak gear selector spring (this helps to stop you getting false neutrals) but is a pain to select neutral again once the engine is running when stationary. :angry:

Using a really good gear oil will help (but not much ! the clutch mod will help with the feel of the clutch but not have any affect on gear selection)

With betas its a case of some are not to bad to get gears and others are just bad...... from new they dont seem to bad but get worse with age....well all mine have on the evo's.

Cheers

Edited by mobbster

yeah dude, i have issues with my Beta selecting neutral and is apparently common prob, I spoke to the lampkins about it who said (like ya man) gear oil and clutch but didn't do much, my mate pullled the cover of an had a look to see if you could fix it without splitting the case but no luck, although the selector drum has alot of play , and he and lampkins agreed this could be shimmed to fix it an it may cure the prob.

but i never heard of the spring issue ? can this be fixed without splitting the cases to cure ths issue??

I had a similar problem with my 09 290 evo. I solved the problem by doing the clutch mod pinned at the top of the Beta page. I also lowerd my transmission oil level to 425cc. I use a light viscosity oil. I know alot of riders like the clutch lever adjusted so that the clutch will begin to engage as soon as the lever begins to leave the top of their fingers. Adjusted this way the clutch will still drag when the lever is pulled tight to your fingers preventing a transmission shift or if you can get the transmission to shift you have used enough force that the transmission will move right past neutral into the next gear. This may not be for everyone but I have my clutch lever adjusted so that the clutch is fully disengaged when the lever is resting on the top of my fingers. The transmission will shift with the motor running while the bike is stopped with the clutch setup this way and neutral will be easyer to find. Mobster may be onto somthing about the weak selector spring.

Edited by Liviob

Hi Liviob

I was talking the problem through with a guy who builds bespoke clutches for all types of bikes..

The reason for the weak selector sping is you get less or no false neutrals :icon_salut:

The down side is it is hard to select neutral when the bike is at a stand still with the engine running.

I noticed beta have changed to gear meshing profiles for the 2011 bike (this will help gear selection even with a weak spring)

Cheers

Edited by mobbster

• 6 years later...