280 gear oil?

redchoppa

Don't worry there's nothing wrong with ATF. It is transmission oil and works perfectly. :thumbup:

I agree, the conditions under which a Trials gearbox/clutch operate and an automatic transmission operates are very similar. Atf is made for a wet-clutch environment, has good shear strength and lubricity and has anti-foaming additives. We used to use a pint of it in our Top/Fuel dragster differentials as an additive.

The key is to change it often to keep it fresh.

Jon

Hello

I use Amsoil super shift ATF, its a bit pricier at $14.99 but you get two changes to a bottle. It only takes 450ml for a change and do it about every 10 to 15 hours of riding unless it get contaminated. you can also use Acdelco dextron III a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps

Dustin

Ideal thanks, what atf should i try then?? I'm always open to try new stuff i just got told not to use it by a couple of people, any tips for getting it in the very small hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the riders use Dexron for the models up to 06' and Type-F for the 06' on up models.

Good, light-viscosity motorcycle specific transmission fluids also work well in most cases.

ATF is around 7.5 weight and "75 weight" transmission fluid is roughly equal to a "10 weight"

motor oil (transmission fluid is viscosity-measured at a higher temperature than motor oil).

Jon

The ATF I buy comes with an extendable spout, I think most should. If you cut the lip off the spout that stops it dropping back into the bottle, the spout fits perfectly into the clutch cover hole. No mess no fuss.