Condisation problem

smallboy

Hi

Just removed the ignition cover on my EVO 2010,to find alot of water and condision insided the cover and over the flywheel.

Is this a problem or just damp that has built up over the winter,any tips on keeping dry,or just leave it as it is and just dry out every few weeks?

Regards

David

This topic seems to have a bit of historic value accross the brands as well.

It works, although my personal experience has been tolimit the hole size to about 3-4mm, which may be debateable, yet you could alwayy enlarge it later if needed.

All point being, you need to let it vent and drain, as well as clean on occasion.

Water ingress is nor really an issue in itself, go submurse an upside down pop bottle if you like, just to see what comes in!

Hi

Dont drill any holes in the cover this lets water in when you are crossing streams/water etc.....

Leave the cover off while its stored.

And dont spray WD40 on the fly wheel/electrics :rolleyes:

This makes things worse if you have a hole in the cover as any dust/dirt that gets in while riding will stick to the WD40 in hard to reach places and only cause you trouble later in the day.....

After a ride and wash ....take the cover off lean the bike on its side to allow any water/condensation to drain out.

Then spray all around fly wheel with contact cleaner then lean bike on its side to drain...this will evaporate after a few minutes....Job done.

If the flywheel weight is becoming rusty wipe a very small amount of silicon spray over it with a clean rag (very small amount)

putoline do a good silicon spray.

All the best :thumbup:

sorry smallboy only been repairing trials bikes for about 35 yrs (what do i know) even (gas gas pdi sheet) says drill a hole in cover,but what do they know. listen to mobbster he knows better.

YES thats why you use WD40 :iamwithstupid: Yes the good old days when any item could be fixed by a quick squirt of the dreaded stuff...move on its 2011 :agreed: but what do i know..... well fixing bikes for 35 years hey.....remind me to drop my bike in to you for a service.. gasgas pdi (read the post.. we are talking about a beta......oh i could go on...do bvm or colin appleyard drill holes in the covers NO... does it say it in the beta pdi....i guess not as steve saunders carrys out most of bvm's pdi's and he has never drilled a fly wheel cover on any of my betas or recommended doing it....oh what would he know about trials bikes and riding.. winning x amount of scottish 6 days and about 10 british titles etc etc)if you will be sarcastic ORMPLUS expect it back.. :thumbup:

Cheers

Edited by mobbster

Some people vent there covers to prevent water getting sucked in when a hot engine is rapidly cooled by water. (forms a strong vacuum when crossing a deep stream and will draw water into the side case - not just straight condensation). My bike has a hose from the cover vent hole up to the top of the Rad. I have noticed that the electrics stay drier than my last bike that didnt have this feature and suspect this happens more than people think. JSE wrote a nice explanation with photos of his setup and a trick way to vent the side case. (it was in the GG forum, but I think the water is probably brand agnostic...)

Edited by laser1

YES thats why you use WD40 :iamwithstupid: Yes the good old days when any item could be fixed by a quick squirt of the dreaded stuff...move on its 2011 :agreed: but what do i know..... well fixing bikes for 35 years hey.....remind me to drop my bike in to you for a service.. gasgas pdi (read the post.. we are talking about a beta......oh i could go on...do bvm or colin appleyard drill holes in the covers NO... does it say it in the beta pdi....i guess not as steve saunders carrys out most of bvm's pdi's and he has never drilled a fly wheel cover on any of my betas or recommended doing it....oh what would he know about trials bikes and riding.. winning x amount of scottish 6 days and about 10 british titles etc etc)if you will be sarcastic ORMPLUS expect it back.. :thumbup:

Cheers

I thin you are on to this Ormplus fellow! Total Twit! I would never allow a hole larger then 5.5 mm drilled into my cover mysel!

Notice I did refrain from the wd40 ref in MY post, total crap, only use it for more important stuff like chains, as I have much more high tech stuff like Corrosion-X to treat electrics and prevent corrosion. Silecon is for sex lube, not corrosion prevention.

Super hot trick is covering the (no larger than) 5.5 hole so water cannot get in!

To achieve this, you gotta use Gorilla tape! Another high tech material. Just make a little flap of it that you can peel off to let any dribble out to pee on your feet when neccessary,then seal it back up. When you get home, leave it open to vent and drain any codge(new word).

And I've only been working on bikes and other crap for about 40 something years. I have underwear older than Steve(out the door) Saunders.

Amatures, the lot! Oh, BTW recall first rule of plumbing! :thumbup:

When you get home, leave it open to vent and drain any codge(new word).

Codge - Mr Copes word of the year and what a fantastic word it is too! :thumbup:

Reading the difference in opinion between Ormplus and Mobbster, Smallboy is now probably wishing the question was never asked. Don't worry about it, that's what forums are all about. The banter can get a bit heated at times but at the end of the day we are all individuals with our own opinions and express them we shall.

Even if you're Dr Who and have been fixing things with your sonic screwdriver for over 900 years someone will disagree with you - guaranteed. What a boring world it would be if we all agreed with each other eh?

So you now have choices (IMO);

Leave the cover as it is and remove it regularly and let it all dry out.

Drill a hole in the bottom as a drain (also works as an inlet with the vacuum effect mentioned earlier.

Only use WD40 if you regularly remove the flywheel for cleaning. An electrical specific protector like Copey mentioned is the best bet.

Drill a hole and fit a breather tube up the frame (seen this done on quite a few bikes)

Try sealing the cover in place with something (codge?) (Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't).

Personally, I do the regular removal, blow out with an air line and spray with ipone protector, leave cover off until thoroughly dry - school of maintenance. Other opinions may vary - always read the label.

GJ :wacko:

Hi Copemech

From putoline web site :icon_salut:

SILICON SPRAY (AE)

Description

Putoline's Silicon Spray restores colour to that showroom like finish to a wide variety of plastic and painted surfaces and at the same time ensures future cleaning is made easier. Its water-repellent formulation makes it the ideal choice when protecting electrical components from ingress of water.

BUT WILL TRY IT AS A SEX LUBE :thumbup:

No worries smallboy..... its all good banter :biggrinsanta:

I would like to mention even after lots of deep water crossings and a really good wash of the bike after... i have only ever removed less than a tea spoon of water from any of my beta evos and this includes a few total submersion's (hence my TTT nick name the water boy :kerstsmiley: )

But the flywheel will have condensation on it if temperatures go up and down while its stored...just like you get on the aluminium frame...

CHEERS

Edited by mobbster