Back on the bike

keithm

Hello Everyone,

it must be 15 years since I last rode my Gollner Honda TLR250 mono but it still sits in my garage teasing me every time I go in and talk to my other love (no not the fridge full of beer!), a 1989 Audi quattro.

Anyway, bike is part way through a rebuild and so is the rider and I hope to get back out into the streams and woods of rural Aberdeenshire in the not too distant future now I class for the over 40s group!

As a quick introduction, I started trialling when I was 10 and worked up to expert by the late 80s' when I stopped. We used to hold Scottish Championship rounds on my parents farm near Inverurie with around 140 riders but when they retired from farming and sold up my ability to ride became non existant as wife, work, house and children took my attention.

I miss it and will eventually get back on the pegs whilst I can still see my feet!

Still, first things first, get the bike sorted then get the rider sorted and finally get my wife to accept it!

I look forward to joining in on this forum as a starter.

Keith

• 3 years later...

By way of a little update, I've (very nearly) finished renovating my Gollner TLR250 as shown in the picture below:-

post-12935-0-13408500-1404388913_thumb.jpg

I've had the bike since nearly new and it is now in much better shape than the rider...I slipped a disc not long after my first post here. So I'm a work in progress!

I must thank R Sutcliffe for kick starting this whole thing after he asked me for pictures to put his Gollner TLR200 back together.

Also for spare/replacement parts I used,

CMSNL.com

Inmotiontrials.com

TYTrials.com

Trialsbits.co.uk

Shock rebuild by Falcon Shock

Stainless steel nuts & bolts from Grampian fasteners

Frame blast, weld, powder coat by Woodton Tyres Ltd

I've also become a good customer of toolstoday.co.uk where I'm afraid I could spend even more money on shiny new tools.

Just the wheels to go now for new rims, spokes and tyres and then get myself out and about.

PS. The blue grab strap was something I added when I brought the bike after going through a series of TY250 mudguards as people (me and others) made a grab for my previous bike and broke the plastic.

The strap is as old as me! It came from my baby harness!

I highly recommend having a grab strap to save your bumpers, but maybe get a bit of newer nylon webbing.....although they last a long time, mine has done 30 years of service.

Keith

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

So by way of a little update, the bike looked mint when finished but didn't stay that way for long. Two years of gentle trials and I was enjoying myself again.

Quite fun seeing the kids of the dads I used to compete against now in the expert class and a world of technology beyond when I used to be an expert.

reduced1.thumb.jpg.4c7677b3b6d7193f1b2a137c717500f0.jpg  Reduced2.thumb.jpg.17826eaba355e692c0a1f3f3870db3c6.jpg

Reduced3.thumb.jpg.207dda094bdb39c155eab0fbe0c225c7.jpg

I have yet to try one of these new fangled light weight 300cc two stroke bikes although I have been offered a go.

Unfortunately the bike refused to start at one trial and it took me an age to track down replacement ignition parts but now they are fitted and the carb has been completely stripped, ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt I may just get back on it again this year.