How Much!

chewy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was of the mind to I would calculate the cost of riding by looking at the different cost centers

, and run the average cost out to a monthly figure. This way you can amortise long lasting items (like boots) the same way as a one event purchase (entry fee / petrol)

A bit like this-

1. Bike purchase price minus its final resale value divided by the length of time owned (12 24 36 months or whatever) = the cost of ownership per month.

then same again for ......

2. Riding gear again spread over 24/36 months

3. Consumables and spares.

4. Event entry and travelling & Fuel.

5. A.N. Other sundry (trailer repairs etc)

etc etc.

This way you could see as accuratley as you can how much your own cost per month to ride is.

The largest variable will be your bike cost over time. ie do you buy new or seek out a bargain ?

But alas I cant be AR$£D working out what it costs me because if I did and the wife were to crack my passwords on my Laptop then I would be Bacon ! :rotfl:

Fact is I can afford it at my level and I can justify the spend to myself without hurting our family lifestyle away from trials. Maybe I am lucky to be able to take this line - it hasnt always been the case I can tell you (have had to sell bikes to raise quick cash).

Fact is we all sort of 'know' what we can truly afford - trials riders tend to be money savy in this respect.

My advice is spend it now - you cant take it with you / tommorrow is too late so enjoy today.

Cheers GAW

Edited by Scoobydo

Snap suryey suggest that we will accept price increases then. I'd still be interested to know how new bike sales are going though. Very much liked scoobydoo's reply... excellent. My "problem" is that my missus rides as well so it's all doubled for me, still can't imagine (not that i'm interested in even thinking about other sports) a better sport to be doing though.

When I start riding trials again 10 years ago, I bought a few 'modern' bikes, but for various reasons, including depreciation, I switched to classic (twinshock) trials which has been ideal, both in terms of cost, value for money and needless to say, an excellent laugh !

Trials is cheap and if you can handle a spanner, its possible to make money from your bike. They appreciate rather than depreciate. I started riding Classic Scrambles last year and though the entry fee for an event is more (

the mtb analogy is a good one. to ride competatively in each would be about the same. push bike circa 3k trials bike 4.5 the trials bike will be as competative 3 years later if maintained, a push bike lasts a season of racing personal eqpt costs clothing footwear are comparable and parts wise cost of consumables and add ons do not differ widely. where the real difference lies and i've been there worn both jerseys is time commitment. regional std riders of push bikes will train 5 days a week minimum 3 hours a day plus gym etc and have a fairly strict diet. i dont suppose our regional trials experts do that mush on bike..

I don't really think the cost of Trials is an issue, yes it's expensive but then most things are. As others have said mountain biking is as expensive, if not more so. Go up Swaledale on a Sunday morning & see the packs of road cyclists, half of them I bet are on bikes costing a load more than a new Trials iron.

Just to back up what Perce has said look at the following:

Clicky

Clicky2

These are mainstream bikes, custom specials can easily run to 5 figures easily. If you fancy the Team Sky Brad Wiggins replica bike you can have it for £16,500, you can pay £4000 for a pair of carbon wheels!!!Mental!!

Bigfoot's kid does a lot of MTB downhill races I bet he could tell you about some really expensive stuff.

Edited by Slapshot 3

These links are fair enough and drawing comparison to team sky etc, but how much do you think Bou, Rage or Cabby's bike would cost then if you are gonna go cherry pick the most expensive push bikes.

Don't know and I don't think anyone can put a realistic cost on some of the works machines especially the Montesa/Hondas.

Eddy Lejeune and Steve Saunders Honda's of the mid 80's were reputed to be worth

I'd go down the lines of Bou's Haonda being made of unobtainium, Caby's Sherco being not far removed from a production machine. I don't personally think that Honda's money hasn't done much for the sport of trials.

I also think it's time somebody made a serious attempt to make a 21st century version of the TY80, Trials needs it to survive.

Edited by PERCE

Just seen the internal set up of a High end cycle parts manufacturer in the North of England. The investment there is phenomimnal ! Serious Serious machine tools in a superb new factory. You could be in an aerospace factory - its that good. I have travelled the world in my job visiting such facilities and this place is good- very good.

My point ?

The cost of pedal cycles - good enough to compete on & not your Halford specials - is high because of the investment by the manufacturer to have modern efficient kit to make the very best parts on.

(A modern high end self loading palletised machining center - read milling machine - can cost north of £1/2 million!!)

The brave manufacturer then has to market their goods, run the factory, pay the wages, rates, insurance plus service any borrowings etc etc etc etc and hope they show a profit at the end of it! - very brave indeed !

The Trials iron factory's are in exactly the same position, and I bet for one they dont make a bomb on each machine they make too !

So if you look at it that way both Trials Bikes & Pedal Cycles are excellent value !

Gives me 'HOPE' that we see this kind of investment here in the UK :thumbup:

Edited by Scoobydo

Just seen the internal set up of a High end cycle parts manufacturer in the North of England. The investment there is phenomimnal ! Serious Serious machine tools in a superb new factory. You could be in an aerospace factory - its that good. I have travelled the world in my job visiting such facilities and this place is good- very good.

My point ?

The cost of pedal cycles - good enough to compete on & not your Halford specials - is high because of the investment by the manufacturer to have modern efficient kit to make the very best parts on.

(A modern high end self loading palletised machining center - read milling machine - can cost north of