Route marking

old trials fanatic

Changes to 2011 Trials Standing Regulations

Section/ Route Marking

It is recommended that routes be marked as follows: -

Route A - Principle Route - Blue ( left) Red ( right)

Route B - Yellow both sides

Route C - White both sides

Any further routes to be marked in a colour chosen by the Organiser

In the above, the letters denote the severity of the sections in descending order ie Route A

would be hardest, Route B next hardest and so on.

Routes may be marked in their entirety in the colours shown, or the Organiser may mark

appropriate diversions in these colours. Ideally, the coloured section of markers should

be in the shape of an arrow, with the point toward the centre of the section

Edited by Old trials fanatic

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a good idea to me.

Be a good idea if the ACU could find a source for a standard flag with an arrow shape for all clubs to use if they wish.

If you already have good flags just wait till they need replacing then change to the standard flag.

I think it makes sense too, markers arent that expensive if you look on old flebay for setting out markers, only thing is they are square and I think it would be a pain to try and get an arrow to stay pointing in!

Great Idea.

Living on the border of 4 centres that all use differant colour marking systems does your head in

each week.

Just to top it not one uses that colour system.

The sooner we have standard colours the better and then lets have a standard

rider class instead of all these riders changing class every time they ride another centre.

It's just so comfussing and even more so for new riders to the sport. They can't understand

why we don't have ONE rule no matter what centre we ride in....

Gasserguy

Great Idea.

Living on the border of 4 centres that all use differant colour marking systems does your head in

each week.

Just to top it not one uses that colour system.

The sooner we have standard colours the better and then lets have a standard

rider class instead of all these riders changing class every time they ride another centre.

It's just so comfussing and even more so for new riders to the sport. They can't understand

why we don't have ONE rule no matter what centre we ride in....

Gasserguy

:agreed:

I think it makes sense too, markers arent that expensive if you look on old flebay for setting out markers, only thing is they are square and I think it would be a pain to try and get an arrow to stay pointing in!

Reckon it would cost us i.r.o.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Old trials fanatic the same thing is happening here. Someone has decided that this colour that colour for this and that. probably lost sleep over the decision. It is confusing for riders for the first 30 seconds. The important thing is that as long as someone sticks flags of whatever colour most are happy. So stick them in and they will come.

Pete

It's true it would be great if there was consistency.

Unfortunately by suggesting a single colour for each alternative route then to avoid confusion it has to be that they are arrows not just flags and that means the increased cost of flags is likely to be ongoing rather than a one off.

Good job it's advisory and not mandatory.

We currently use red and blue for the intermediate route with the experts following the white deviation and the clubman following the yellow deviation. Works fine and as some have said if you go the wrong side of a flag or take the wrong route then it's your fault. However it's the arrows issue that is the problem as i cant figure a way of this working all day without it being firmly affixed to a post of some kind so it cant swivel round etc plus you will need them in all four colours. Our current "flags" are whatever i could find, usually made out of feed bags in the right colour, on bailing wire. Again works well enough. To have 400 stakes made c/w plastic coloured arrows that can swivel and be locked in position must cost at least a

We currently use red and blue for the intermediate route with the experts following the white deviation and the clubman following the yellow deviation. Works fine and as some have said if you go the wrong side of a flag or take the wrong route then it's your fault. However it's the arrows issue that is the problem as i cant figure a way of this working all day without it being firmly affixed to a post of some kind so it cant swivel round etc plus you will need them in all four colours. Our current "flags" are whatever i could find, usually made out of feed bags in the right colour, on bailing wire. Again works well enough. To have 400 stakes made c/w plastic coloured arrows that can swivel and be locked in position must cost at least a

Once clubs gradually change to having the same coloured markers (regradless of design) and then start looking at how to introduce arrows then all the ACU clubs will be looking for the same solution. Therefore the potential to bulk buy, have something made bespoke to ACU trials becomes a real options. As the market would be there then the price should come down.

We maybe need to think of the slightly longer term benefits rather than how will it effect us tomorrow.