Stripped water pump threads

beeaj

I have just replaced my water pump impellor, seal etc and on putting it back together found that the longest bottom bolt couldn't catch a thread, closer look showed the bolt thread slightly stripped. New set of bolts ordered but when they arrived I was gutted to find that the bottom bolt still wouldn't grip and one other bolt started but only to strip after getting slightly tight. I can only assume that the casing thread has been stripped.

Has anyone else had this and how did you fix it? I have heard of HeliCoils but haven't used them, don't know if they come that small and can be fitted easily (if at all)

Pretty disappointing stage of an otherwise successful rebuild!

Any advice gratefully received

Mike

http://durafix.co.uk/pages.php?&pID=7

I've seen this at the car shows where they put a steel bolt in alloy casing holes with stripped threads and run the stuff in, have had a go since and it's a dam site harder than it looks!

Maybe casing off and take to a professional to fill and then re thread?

I would probs use superglue knowing me.... ;) and a big hammer!

I am sure the Duraweld or similar product applied with a torch can only be accomplished with the case removed. There is no way to get the engine case hot enough with it assembled/attached to the engine. There may also be some epoxy repair methods worth trying - however epoxy generally softens with heat and may not be suitable for use on an engine.

Heli Coil or TimeSerts may work - but if the holes are open on the back and not closed off (blind) then the drilling and tapping of the inserts will result in all the shavings going inside the engine.

You do need some professional help on this one - it is probably necessary for you to find a competent shop or mechanic to help you.

Edited by 1oldbanjo

First thing I would try is to run a tap into the threads to see if that would sort it,it really depends on how far you went and you might get away with cleaning the threads :)

I'd probably do that as a start also. I'd also use a caliper to determine the exact depth of the hole and sometimes you can get a capscrew that is just slightly longer that will capture a couple of threads at the bottom. There is not much outward pressure on the pump body so you don't need much capscrew torque to hold it in. That sometimes will get you by to ride until a permanent fix can be worked out.

There are three capscrews on the pump, two short and one long, the longer one always goes on the bottom.

Jon

Hi all

I have now taken off the clutch casing to find that the bottom water pump mount hole (for the longest bolt ) doesn't seem to have any sign of, or having ever had a thread. It also seems to have a collar which sticks out a bit and the hole is larger than the other 2. Should there be an insert with a thread in here??? It looks like it would be pretty easy to fit a helicoil but I am not sure if this is the best fix. I have a detailed photo of it which I am about to try and attach???

Hope it works and someone has some good info

thanks

Mike

http://jalbum.net/a/895095/

Hi all

I have now taken off the clutch casing to find that the bottom water pump mount hole (for the longest bolt ) doesn't seem to have any sign of, or having ever had a thread. It also seems to have a collar which sticks out a bit and the hole is larger than the other 2. Should there be an insert with a thread in here??? It looks like it would be pretty easy to fit a helicoil but I am not sure if this is the best fix. I have a detailed photo of it which I am about to try and attach???

Hope it works and someone has some good info

thanks

Mike

http://jalbum.net/a/895095/

Just had another look and further back in the bottom hole it does look as if it might have had a thread at one time, could it just be really stripped out?

Just had another look and further back in the bottom hole it does look as if it might have had a thread at one time, could it just be really stripped out?

That insert is a dowel used for alignment and there should be one on the left side of the case also. The threads will ne down in the bottom of the hole. The sidecover gasket will have two larger holes on the left and right to fit over these dowels so don't worry, you're normal....

Jon

• 9 years later...