phbl versus vhst carb

rockyrider

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys a most informative discussion, I think I'll try Copemechs bigger pilot jet and needle drop first, I've retarded it by another tad as it's going to be wet tomorrow, I think it's a smooth as I can get it with current "hardware" it just seems to be uncomfortable ticking over having stalled in three sections last week it's a bit of a downer.

Wow!!... many thanks for the detailed write-up Laser1 :thumbup: .... I must admit I'm tempted to get my VHST26 back on again now...so thanks for that. :banana2:

What they say about free advise only comes from those that charge for their advice. And in Australia we like to say "What goes around comes around" :D

Best of balance.

Neo

Thanks guys a most informative discussion, I think I'll try Copemechs bigger pilot jet and needle drop first, I've retarded it by another tad as it's going to be wet tomorrow, I think it's a smooth as I can get it with current "hardware" it just seems to be uncomfortable ticking over having stalled in three sections last week it's a bit of a downer.

Where you got the timing set? I think you gotta likely go back 3-4mm on the plate from standard to get it about where you want it. :rolleyes:

Another thing Chewy, you may want to set the idle up just a bit. As example, if sitting running warmed up in neutral, mine sounds slightly high, yet when in gear it settles a bit to a decent level.

Set to a point that in second gear, bike will set at no throttle and chug along without stalling whilst coming up a slight incline, such as off my street and up the drive. Mind you, part of this has to do with ignition timing, as set advanced they will likely kickback stall at true chug speed.

Wow!!... many thanks for the detailed write-up Laser1 :thumbup: .... I must admit I'm tempted to get my VHST26 back on again now...so thanks for that. :banana2:

What they say about free advise only comes from those that charge for their advice. And in Australia we like to say "What goes around comes around" :D

Best of balance.

Neo

Question is, WTF would you want to if you got a perfectly good working 26 OKO? :rolleyes:

Question is, WTF would you want to if you got a perfectly good working 26 OKO? :rolleyes:

I love to learn this stuff Cope (and so do you) and I'll still have a perfectly good OKO26 after I've experience what a VHST26 can offer .... Who knows!!...certainly not me, if I don't try it.

Best of balance.

Neo

I love to learn this stuff Cope (and so do you) and I'll still have a perfectly good OKO26 after I've experience what a VHST26 can offer .... Who knows!!...certainly not me, if I don't try it.

Best of balance.

Neo

It is all fun in a sense I suppose. Fact is I gat my belly full of crap on a daily basis working on stuff for a living.

You know what they say, last thing a mechanic wants to do is come home to work on his own crap! The bike and aircraft is just simple therapy to get my head out of the day. Little OKO was a good project don't you think! Cost me a good $75 and weekend off!

I would not give you two shakes for a friggin dellorto that don't work decent out the box, no less 150 english quid things! Add the parts to adjust it ! 26/28 whateve!

Las I heard, most the top riders are back on the 28K carb. This list may include Cabby and Wigg on top(Paxau), and others such as Smage in the US. We shall see.

All point being, I would rather ave nother beer than chunk dosh at it! :guinness:

So, VHST opinion. Still at this point, all I can say as not ownin one is that the carb seems to have the basic design features of the well working and powerfull Kiehin. Probably just as jikky if not more, and seems out the box they ain't all that great.

Require some tuning in either 26/28 version and it may work well. If that was what I had to work with, then I could probably make it work.

In a quick summary, different folks want and expect different things from a bike! Some prefer smooth and progressive power, others quickness and lots o'power, with some in the middle.

I think the standard PHBL works fine for most. Even Ryan Young told me he had just as well use it unless on the big rocks such as Donner and such.

Seems to me the 26 OKO may be the ultimate overall tradeoff for performance, untill the time Kiehin puts a 26 into production. I seen specs on them at some point on a website, yet never seen the unit! :rolleyes:

In the USA, you can find VHST's around that folks took off there older GG's. Got mine for free from a friend who switched it off his bike for a PWK. The GG jetting recommendations were not the best, so I can see why folks dont like them over here if there running that setup. Combine that with a faulty fuel valve on many of them and you may a well just run an old BING.. Count the cost of turning down the carb, jets, and fuel valve, I figure I have about $50 into it. I do get my Dellorto parts cheap from Herdan though, so it may be a bit more elsewhere. The OKO seems like a good choice for the price. (the USA price that is) I have also heard of people sleeving there PWK28's to a 26mm. You can buy sleeves (and other wild stuff) here. http://www.mototekna.com/index.html - anyone try any of there wild stuff there? (airfoils ect..) I know I cant wait until we are all riding FI or Electric bikes....Of course then we'll be talking about Maps or Batteries.

Isn't that website awesome!! ....has given me a few ideas too :bouncy:

I fitted the VHST with a new pilot jet yesterday afternoon .... The bike ran so crap I took it straight back off again!!... then gave my OKO26 some hugs and kisses before refitting it. :wub:

I need to buy a set of VHST pilot jets I can play with. But can't find anyone that sells them for an affordable number....So I may end up abandoning the whole project.

Best of balance.

Neo

You can buy sleeves (and other wild stuff) here. http://www.mototekna.com/index.html - anyone try any of there wild stuff there?

Just had some thoughts on this. That spacer or sleeve goes in the carb outlet.... So it will increase the air velocity across the Pilot hole but not the needle jet...Hmm...might be a good thing <_< ... but I'd hate to see that spacer come out and smash past the reed block one day :unsure:

Best of balance.

Neo

Instead of having to deal with the pros and cons of 26mm vs 28mm I wonder why the manufacturers don't make an oval bore. Say 26mm extended to a height of 30mm. I have read of oval bore carbs before, surely it would work well on a trials bike.

Isn't that website awesome!! ....has given me a few ideas too :bouncy:

I fitted the VHST with a new pilot jet yesterday afternoon .... The bike ran so crap I took it straight back off again!!... then gave my OKO26 some hugs and kisses before refitting it. :wub:

I need to buy a set of VHST pilot jets I can play with. But can't find anyone that sells them for an affordable number....So I may end up abandoning the whole project.

Best of balance.

Neo

Dum de dum de dum!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Try solder and a drill! :thumbup: