TLR 200 valve clearance

keychange

My top end is a bit rattly - I have done cam chain adjustments several times but the rattle is still there particularly when warmed up. So I figure check the valve clearance - easier said than done. I have the manual and all it says insert feeler gauge ..... how? I can't get my gauge any where near the valve stem - do I need a wire gauge?

I am certain that I am on the TDC of the compression stroke but there is now way I can get my gauge down there (without bending it) and between the screw and valve stem -- there is very little movement in the rocker does that suggest the clearance is too small - but if so then that wouldn't explain the rattle would it?

Is it a new rattle or has it always been there? Many older Hondas had somewhat noisy cam chains. My TLR is like that. I also had a CB750 that was the same. It may be normal. You may want to compare to another TLR.

For ease of use, you can buy feeler gages that are bent. Like this:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-12-blade-combination-tappet-and-feeler-gauge-set

Is it a new rattle or has it always been there? Many older Hondas had somewhat noisy cam chains. My TLR is like that. I also had a CB750 that was the same. It may be normal. You may want to compare to another TLR.

For ease of use, you can buy feeler gages that are bent. Like this:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-12-blade-combination-tappet-and-feeler-gauge-set

Thanks mcman56 - the rattle has been there since I got it but that was only 4 months ago and I figured it was time to have a closer look - the bike runs fine I really love riding it but I have nothing to compare with - my Cota 247 is heaps more powerful as one would expect from a 250 2 stroke.

I checked bikebandit but their price and postage to OZ are bit high so I went on eBay and have ordered a set of Lisle Tappet gauges from J&B Tools in USA for a very reasonable price and also found they have a small electronic tune up tacho (EZ Tach +PLUS) I got the two items for only than $65 USD delivered - thank god for the strong Aussie dollar :)