Bike bought, now need some advice......

jonabonospen

I have managed to sell one of my road bikes this week so took the plunge and bought myself my first trials bike tonight :hyper: . I have bought a 1996 Gas Gas TXT 270 for a bargain price. I was looking at spending a bit more and getting a 2000/2001 bike potentially but I saw this come up for sale toady and it seemed too good of an offer to let pass, and comes with a trailer too :D

Can anyone tell me much about the model?

The next thing now on my hit-list is to get myself kitted out with clothing. I know I need some decent trials boots and a trials helmet, but other than those two items what else do I NEED? For now I just want to go ride the bike at a club practice ground or somewhere and get used to the bike and stuff and just have some fun on it to get used to it, so what do people recommend I wear? Combats and a warm jacket together with proper boots and a helmet?

All I wear is tight trials pants (clice, but I cannot recomend them as the quality is just not that great, after about 2 weeks some of the stitching had come undone), short sleeved t-shirt (normal cotton t-shirt that you would wear around normally., Gaerne trials boots (these are sooo comfortable and they look pretty good too), V-can v590 trials helmet, giro mountainbike gloves (because i get good deals at the local bike shop and the motorcycle shop had nothing likable in stock... try chainreactioncycles.com for gloves as they have a massive selection), I dont wear baggy pants as they tend to get caught on things and they just dont feel right when riding, and i highly reccomend wearing gloves as having grazed hands will only keep you from riding, also i wear a short sleeved t-shirt as I find that if you are cold in the winter you just arent working hard enough lol, and i find that the long sleeved trials shirts are just too baggy and get in the way, although i do wear my long sleeved trials top at national/ island events as it matches my pants and makes me look good lol. :banana2:

Cheers Brad.

I've always found wulfsport gear [both motocross and trials] is excellent quality and sufficiently fashionable not to feel a complete Dork! [plus it comes in black to maintain anonymity....] Only place I'd really spend cash is boots. I started with Hebo boots but they ruined my feet so then I took the plunge and bought a pair of Alpine Stars "No Stop". Honestly worth every single penny [and they come in black too....]

Enjoy-bet you're trialling proper by the spring!

Will-in-the-mud

Thanks for the advice guys. Definately going to make sure I have some good boots. Just dont want to go down the full biking clobber yet though as I want to make sure I like it first off. Plus I dont fancy the skin tight stuff as I am a bit of a chunky monkey and think I would make people feel violently ill if they saw me in that sort of clobber.

I tend to go with combats or just manky old jeans usually. If it's wet then I've some baggyish black waterproofish trousers that do. Top half I always but always have a dark blue/ light blue striped rugby shirt. Is really comfy, warm and cool enough, thick enough to turn away most types of prickly bush. Don't give a monkey what I look like, but I know I don't have the body for lycra!

I'd stay away from cotton tee shirts as cotton absorbs sweat. (chuck a shirt in the bath and see how much water it absorbs!! - or if you've ever got a sweat on digging in the garden then stop and have your cotton shirt cling to your back and get cold and claggy). Man made fibres are good at 'wicking' and dry fast - polyester, nylon, lycra etc (they'll come out of a washing machine practically dry and be ready to wear in an hour or so). Wool products (especially merino wool) are better but more costly, and they offer the best performace range (eg hot temps and when it's cold they are better than man made fabrics).

I work in an outdoor shop and sell and wear this stuff and believe me it's the way to go.

You could go as far as getting compression tops and legs, to aid recovery and improve performance.... people I know that use them can tell they make a difference.

I'm not going to say where I work as I'm not trying to plug anything here - just give some advice :thumbup:

Tech tee - c