Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

If I have a 5000mah 3s I set the charger to charge at 5.0a. If I have a 3900mah 3s I set it to charge at 3.9a. Isn't this right ? I've always done it this way, I did wonder how my mate does his 5300mah 3s with the same charger though and never thought to ask.

with my chargers I just set them to charge at the max rate (5A) and the charger will only charge at the rate that it can do for the amount of cells which for 6s is 2.2A if I connected a 3s it will charge at around 4.5A.. You can just leave it on the highest current setting ( will not be any problem with the small chargers ) you can charge lipos faster than 1c ( which is what you have been doing by setting your charger current for different capacity batterys ) .all this will mean that the time to recharge will faster but higher capacity batterys will take longer to charge .. i.e if you had a 5ah battery and the charger can only do 5A then that battery will take 1 hour to charge but if you wanted to charge a 15ah battery this will take 3x longer to charge on the same charger.

I'm just back from my mates, well worth the trip. I got 7 brand new storage charged 5s packs and a brand new storage charged 6s he didn't need but thought I could use. No connectors fitted to the batteries so I might not go the deans route.

When you coming over gwhy ? The kettles just boiled and the soldering stuff is ready. Kidding man, I don't even have the connectors yet. Can't wait though.

WP_000284_zps3b2cb88a.jpg

Edited by 8690q

Looks like you scored :-),

dont forget to make sure that the battery's are of equal voltage before you parallel them up.. and also go careful when fitting the plugs onto the batterys its to easy to let the 2 wires touch each other and before you know it you have ruined a battery or maybe even worst burnt your self. I dont know when Im up your way again otherwise I would have popped in to help wire them up ( and had a cuppa :-) ).

Edited by gwhy

I scored alright ! Free lipo bricks, awesome. Just need to get connectors on them and get them all charged and ready to be strapped together.

Thanks for the safety info, you can never be too careful working with lipos.

Kettles always ready to go so if you are ever up this way I'm due you a cuppa at the very least.

I've got a wee shopping list together, I'll pm you it to see what you think. I hope that's ok.

• 4 months later...

Gave the OSET 16 battery pack a little love this week. I haven't balanced the cells in many many charges as I have found having them in parallel helps keep them balanced. I have 10 x 5000ma 5S Zippys (so 25ahs of about 40v battery) that fit neatly in the battery tray in an aluminum case, well padded. One cell of the 50 was at 4.05v, the rest were all sitting at 4.18 to 4.20v. Balancing brought it back in line. I have a 1000w power pack and dual charger that brings the batteries back to 95% in under an hour using 20A. We have never run out of battery (ie below 36v) even with all day adult trials. The conversion makes a good bike into a great bike. I will be doing the same when Santa delivers an OSET 20, but I will improve the charging connectors (XT60s seem to get tight).

• 1 month later...

Here's my take.

Been dabbling with LiPos on my son's R/C rock Crawler with good results, so decided to give this a try on our 24V16

Bought two 6000mAh/20C 6S Chinese brand LiPos from the LHS.

DSCN1320_zps8b2f3845.jpg

Plastic junction box from a supplier at work

DSCN1319_zps058d57cd.jpg

XT60 parallel 'Y' connector epoxied into the box

DSCN1318_zpsbf194b32.jpg

This was my 1st time using XT60 connectors; I previously used Deans and bullet connectors on the R/C stuff.

I found XT60s were easy to solder, but there is not enough space to insert two 12 gauge wires for the parallel Y connection.

The two 12 gauge wires together were too fat, so I had to trim away some strands and generally stuff around to solder two 12 gauge wires per pole onto one XT60 connector.

I experimented with different foam layers to get the batteries to lie snug in the box, finally settled on some computer mouse pads.

A two hour play ride with extended periods of WOT yesterday dropped the LiPos from 25.2V hot of the charger to 23.8V. I'm quite happy so far, the weight savings are massive. I think I'll invest in a 3rd 6S to extend the ride time even more. Lots of space remaining in the battery tray.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

me and a few friends just got the 20" race and def want to upgrade to LIPOs... has anyone worked out the specs for running the larger bike/voltage? We are def interested in extending range and power and not so much worried about weight. Also interested in the option of mounting a good DH rear shock in place of the stock. Oh and finally a suggestion on where to get some good bar risers (we are all adults on these little babies and love them).

SZ

me and a few friends just got the 20" race and def want to upgrade to LIPOs... has anyone worked out the specs for running the larger bike/voltage? We are def interested in extending range and power and not so much worried about weight. Also interested in the option of mounting a good DH rear shock in place of the stock. Oh and finally a suggestion on where to get some good bar risers (we are all adults on these little babies and love them).

SZ

All the same rules as regards lipo's all the info is in this thread.. 48v system.. so sets of 12s lipos, 2x 6s is the most user friendly setup for charging.

• 3 weeks later...

GWhy and Others....

I am a longtime RC user and fly RC Heli's with LiPo and use them in the cars. Now, I have a charging set up and am able to charge LiPo and do it safely, but I am NOT an electrical Engineer.

So, I have read all 13 pages of the Oset LiPo thread and have to admit I have gotten myself a bit confused, probably because the 13 pages also cover some five years of LiPo history and the technology on these batteries and the availability has gotten so much better!

I want to do the LiPo conversion for the 36V, so can you direct me to hobbyKing for the BEST current setup for the 36V as it seems to be a bit of an anomoly when it comes to easy of set up for series of batteries?

I am wondering fi I can do 2 x 5S 20C LiPo 5000MaH 18.5V in connected in Series (I think :) will give me 37V hot off charger and the required 10000 aH rating, right????

5S batts here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9174__Turnigy_5000mAh_5S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html Plus all the connectors and a in line meter seems is a must for a 6 year old!!! do not worry he has been riding 3 years and has a CRF50, but loves the Oset!

You rock when it comes to this expertise!

JP

just bought an oset 20racing,bike mega but battery life lets it down 1,5hr absolute max with 5stone rider.read all about li po,s but no idea what and where to buy.tried contacting oset but no reply.can anyone help in advising which to buy and where.this includes wiring and a charger

For a 36v setup then 2x5s in series will give you around 41v hot off the charger ( this is fine and will make the bike have a little more top end ) ,

If you have 2 chargers then either pairs of 5s ( for 36v ) or pairs of 6s ( for 48v ) makes the easiest way to charge the battery's. Once you start looking at chargers to 6+ cells these become a lot more expensive.

if putting battery's in series and/or in parallel then they should all be the same capacity and all the individual cells need to be in good condition ( balanced ) .

2x 5s1p 5000mah in parallel = 18.5v 10ah lipo , treat this as one battery

you connect 2 of these 18.5v battery's in series to make the 37v 10ah battery.

either hardwire the 2x5s battery's in parallel or you can make plug adaptors to fit the 2 5c battery's together.

here are the connections/plugs that you require to wire up either a 36v or a 48v setup.

There are many ways to do this but this is how I do it.

post-10011-0-13386700-1389562253_thumb.jpg

post-10011-0-43518000-1389562297_thumb.jpg

post-10011-0-89114800-1389562535_thumb.jpg

post-10011-0-43486100-1389562681_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haven't figured out what to do and have a few final questions before I jump in....

My end goal is to achieve the longest range with weight and power not really being a concern (I'd like to get 3 hours of mellow trail riding out of it if possible). Also to note, I'm an adult weighing in at around 185.

Would I be able to use 3 Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Packs in line (although the voltage would be upwards of 66) and just tune down the power settings? Or would I be better off with more 3s batteries? Does discharge rate affect battery life?

There are also some 10s options with affordable chargers but they are 37v each:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14617__turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_10s_45_90c_lipo_pack.html

I'd consider having a second pack with some sort of switch so when the first pack nears discharge i could switch to the second charged pack.

Oh yeah, I also found this on ebay for the 20" if anyone is interested:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. What a great community.
SZ