Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

• 5 weeks later...

It's hard to bevel that it has been 4 years since I started this thread. Thanks a ton to Gwhy for answering all the questions and taking care of everyone. I feel like I should contribute something so here is an update on the batteries I use these days.

I played around a bit to find that the high voltage cutoff on the 20" is 60V (at least for 2014 and earlier controllers for sure). To take advantage of this I changed to a 14s1P setup for competitions. I get there by using the 8 aH Zippys with two 6 cell and one 2 cell in series. This lands at 59.5V hot off the charger. This lets us get through most of our local trials (Novice class) on one set. We do sometimes use two sets for our longer events. My daughter is 12 now so she monitors the aHs used and changes the batteries herself.

I rig up all of my bikes with the bigger XT-90 connector but still use XT-60 on the batteries. This allows me to make different wiring harnesses for different setups. The normal harness does the 14s1p. I have one that does 14s2p for longer trail rides. I also have one that goes to spades for lead battery comparison testing and one that goes to rings for Earth-x's. I recognize that at peak output I am pulling more current than the XT-60 is rated for (when I run the 1P setup) but I have never had one even get hot since you never run over 60 amps for more than a second or so.

While running 2p would mean never changing the batteries during competition I feel like changing them is worth it to shave about 6 pounds off the bike. I did a little weight reduction on her bike and got it down to about 60 pounds. I ditched things Ike the kickstand (Osets are like Montesas in that laying them on the ground is fine), ditched the ridiculously heavy key switch, and did some drilling and cutting to remove some of the way over-designed steel around the battery box.

Mounting lipos has gotten simpler since the 2014 model introduced the inclusion panels. I put a piece of plastic in the battery tray to protect from poking objects through the holes in the skidplate. It turns out the black plastic pieces in the shipping box for the bike work great after some trimming. I then put the batteries in the tray parallel to the wheels. I used Velcro with sticky back and put four pieces permanently on the bikes through the slots in the sides of the tray. I then use two pieces of non-sticky backed velcro to connect across the top of the batteries. I had to add a notch to each exclusion panel to go around one of the pieces of velcro. I ended up ditching one of the factory pieces of velcro on on exclusion panel to make it faster to open and close it for battery swaps. I will try to get some pictures of that posted soon. I have not yet converted a 2015 but I suspect I will need to figure out a different velcro method. There is a 2015 20" Race sitting in the garage that may end up being my daughters new ride if I don't sell it out from under here again so I will let you know how that works out.

Pic of holes drilled for weight and stylish looks.

post-13498-0-79538700-1433345811_thumb.jpg

Edited by betarambo
  • Like 1

Now I have finally added the 10s 15ah lipos with Kelly Controller to my son's 12.5v oset. We have been driven 3 times now and the voltage is still 38,8 volts. First time I charged only to 40 volts. So massive improvement to stock batteries. Throttle response is much smoother and performance is superior although I only use 70% top speed (29,4 volts fully charged)  and 40% torgue. Is the cell difference acceptable: 

http://s22.postimg.org/thk8vk5f5/image.jpg

My son is only few months past two years so we made custom training wheelies for him. Stock training wheels were absolute rubbish, if we got one inch bumb, bike falled. Now it's very good. Hopefully we get training wheels of in the end of summer. Just need one inch length to his feet. :D

https://youtu.be/tdfTKrpKdlw

Edited by redline2097

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I recently bought a Oset 16 fitted with 3 x Earthx ETX12A batteries. I'm having issues with poor battery life (30 mins max) and now my charger won't charge and bike won't run.
One battery is 9.96V, another is 12.51V and the other is 11.82V.
How can I tell if one is faulty (no idea on age of them but they say 10A at 15V on the sticker which is different to the 5A at 15V on the same batteries listed on the earth x website)?
Can I just replace one battery if required or all 3 of them?
my charger outputs 43.8V at 2A and plugs into he stock plug so i'm guessing it's the standard charger, is this charger right for these batteries?

other option is to replace with Lipo's

do I need to charge these individually or can I plug in to the OEM socket like I do now?

much benefit going custom Lipo setup over just replacing the Earthx batteries?

if I was to go a custom Lipo setup, can someone suggest some good parts and charger to use (mid to upper $$ rather than cheapest available)

thanks

Wayne

the battery that is 9v is boarder line and this is prob why the bike will not run or the charger will not charge the batterys.  Get a 12 volt car headlight bulb ( approx 55w) and just put it across each battery and see if it lights , measuring with a meter is not conclusive. also measure the voltage out of the charger with a meter it should read the 43.2v. 

Hi everyone I'm new to all this iv recently bought my daughter a an oset 16.0 24v and she is loving it but the batteries are not lasting to long so my question is are the lifepo4 24v batteries off ebay for £159.00 any good as straight swap? Do they last alot longer and deliver more power? If not is does anyone have a picture diagram on exactly how to do the lipo conversion as iv read this whole tread and iv got a headache lol. Also regarding the zippy flightmax 5000 is there any reason y I can't use the 30c ones? I will be so greatful to all the help you guys can give.

lifepo4 battery's ( with built in bms)( sla replacements ) are a straight swap for the original lead battery's and can use the same charger. Using Lipo will also involve a new charger and all the associated regime that comes with using lipo ( if no bms is installed ) . What ever chemistry you go for there will be a big improvement on run time over standard sla battery's.. you can put together a lifepo4 24v battery ( with bms ) together so much cheaper than the cost of the earthx batteries or any of the lifepo4 sla replacement batterys.