Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

Goit the batteries set up and all the wiring / series / parallel adaptors made using the info from here, the battery performs brilliantly, they last ages way longer than the originals when they were new and 6kg lighter.

One more question - What are people doing with the balance wires they are not very strong and I can imagine letting them flap about they wont last long. I would like to see a pic of someones completed battery pack to see how neat or not it looks. Mine currently looks a bit messy!

• 4 months later...

I want to run this by those who have done it already. My son's 36v 16 needs new batteries and spending  $100US for 50lbs of lead seems silly. If I were to buy 4x 5s 25c 5800mah/5000mah hobby king packs with 2x 10s 60a BMS boards I can have a 10s2p 37v 11.6ah/10ah battery pack that will deliver the needed 40A current. I could simply split the 2 10s banks and charge with 2 cheap 42V2A ebike chargers. Correct?

Thanks.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, brianjonesphoto said:

I want to run this by those who have done it already. My son's 36v 16 needs new batteries and spending  $100US for 50lbs of lead seems silly. If I were to buy 4x 5s 25c 5800mah/5000mah hobby king packs with 2x 10s 60a BMS boards I can have a 10s2p 37v 11.6ah/10ah battery pack that will deliver the needed 40A current. I could simply split the 2 10s banks and charge with 2 cheap 42V2A ebike chargers. Correct?

Thanks.

Yeah you can do that Brian. Or, you could get a parallel charge harness for $2 and charge it as a single 5S 20AH pack with one 21V charger. You can safely charge up to 20amps with that capacity, so might be worth spending a little more money since you're only getting one charger and get one that outputs 10-20amps. 

- Brandon 

• 8 months later...

After 2 years of successful hobby king lipo usage in my lads 36v oset were now moving onto a 48v.

Question, what is the minimum acceptable C rating for the battery?

There is a lot of high capacity batteries but they are all low c rating 12 seems about average.

Cheers

6 hours ago, lennie said:

After 2 years of successful hobby king lipo usage in my lads 36v oset were now moving onto a 48v.

Question, what is the minimum acceptable C rating for the battery?

There is a lot of high capacity batteries but they are all low c rating 12 seems about average.

Cheers

a 10ah battery with a 10c continuous  discharge will be fine, a 20ah 10c would be much better.. the 10ah 10c rating = 100A cont discharge and the 20ah 10c rating = 200A cont discharge.. but all hobbyking batterys that I have played with they all have over spec'ed C ratings and a 10c rated battery normally comes out as a 2c cont rating .. they can peek a lot higher so this is not so much of a problem on a small bike so rule of thumb would be at least 10c cont with 15c peak ( spec'ed) for a 10ah battery, I still have a 10c 16ah 48v battery that i used on a daily basis ( complete charge and discharge cycle every day , 5 days a week for 3 months ) often pulling 80A+ at certain parts of my journey for maybe 30seconds at a time , towards the end of the 3 months the capacity drop did start to become noticeable but I still have them and are now around about only 8ah  but this was after around 3.5 years of major abuse. they have around 200 charge/discharge cycles total.

Edited by gwhy

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, gwhy said:

a 10ah battery with a 10c continuous  discharge will be fine, a 20ah 10c would be much better.. the 10ah 10c rating = 100A cont discharge and the 20ah 10c rating = 200A cont discharge.. but all hobbyking batterys that I have played with they all have over spec'ed C ratings and a 10c rated battery normally comes out as a 2c cont rating .. they can peek a lot higher so this is not so much of a problem on a small bike so rule of thumb would be at least 10c cont with 15c peak ( spec'ed) for a 10ah battery, I still have a 10c 16ah 48v battery that i used on a daily basis ( complete charge and discharge cycle every day , 5 days a week for 3 months ) often pulling 80A+ at certain parts of my journey for maybe 30seconds at a time , towards the end of the 3 months the capacity drop did start to become noticeable but I still have them and are now around about only 8ah  but this was after around 3.5 years of major abuse. they have around 200 charge/discharge cycles total. 

Brilliant info as always thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

New here. I have an Oset 12.5R 2015 model for my 3 year old. The batteries are pretty shot so looking at Lipo options. 

I have a ELYSIUM LX60B Pro charger and I'm thinking of getting the following:

2 x https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-capacity-battery-8000mah-4s-12c-drone-lipo-pack-xt90.html?queryID=09f9d42a26a5304fced86eb6d944e6fd&objectID=78430&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

run them with low voltage alarms. I was looking at the 16000mah and 20000mah batteries but concerned about getting dead cells. 

Do I need to run a BMS? I was going to get some drop leads for the balance ports to avoid connecting direct to the batteries all the time. 

Trying to keep it relatively simple.

Cheers

Dicky

• 2 weeks later...

For the 36v bikes I would try these for a cheap solution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UFO-U18650-36V-158-4Wh-Battery-10s2p-for-Hoverboard-Balance-Board/323334808752

I don't have a 36v Oset, but I used these to upgrade an electric Razor MX500 bike with a 1000w 36v Currie motor and it's been working awesome for over 2 years.  I have 3 of these in parallel and a 42v Lithium charger, it will go forever and do 16 miles around town, it's been great and I just plug it in to charge, no messing with packs and balancing or alarms... so just a thought for your guys...

20180425_113238.jpg

Edited by Yrocmoto

6 hours ago, Yrocmoto said:

For the 36v bikes I would try these for a cheap solution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UFO-U18650-36V-158-4Wh-Battery-10s2p-for-Hoverboard-Balance-Board/323334808752

I don't have a 36v Oset, but I used these to upgrade an electric Razor MX500 bike with a 1000w 36v Currie motor and it's been working awesome for over 2 years.  I have 3 of these in parallel and a 42v Lithium charger, it will go forever and do 16 miles around town, it's been great and I just plug it in to charge, no messing with packs and balancing or alarms... so just a thought for your guys...

Do these have an internal BMS?

1 hour ago, greg555 said:

Is it me or do these packs look really swollen?????

it looks like they are cylindrical cells not pouches .. but could be wrong.. but if they are pouches then there is something very wrong with them

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...