Bultaco @ Telford

trialsrfun

I don't think any of you realise apart from big john , exactly what Reg was capable

of doing with a motorcycle and in knowing that what this bike consists of ,

as he said anything that was built by Reg was special.

To me he was better than any Bultaco factory designer/mechanic ever

and John is in his own right just as clever.

This bike is not an aftermarket frame or anything like that at all

as I said it is a bike that he built and John has built to their

own spec.

• Like 1

I don't think any of you realise apart from big john , exactly what Reg was capable

own spec.

+1 :agreed:

Plus he had free access to all the right Bultaco parts and some of the best fabricators in the industry at the time

That ain't no ordinary Bultaco - it was simply stunning in the flesh, a true Reg May 'work of motorcycle trials bike art'

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Wasnt trying to be disrespectful just honest. I expected radical suspension, CNC Billet etc etc. Sort of like Vestys but properly finished off.

B40RT classic Marty Feldman a Comic God along with Bob Monkhouse and Dave Allen the response made me laugh almost as much as they all did. Nice one :thumbup:

The kit Campione Bultaco was sheer beauty. An angel fallen to earth and still in my book the best looking trials bike so far closely followed by the OSSA MAR.

Was talking to a aquaintance today at the practice day and he had a very valid point that i had never considered and definately applies to my outlook on Trials Bikes. We were talking about Pre65, Twinshocks and bikes in general. He pointed out when we were discussing "mods", engineering not the scooter boys, he loves Old Bikes for what they are Old Bikes their history style etc etc. Made me think cos i have never looked at them that way and would happily attack anything to make it perform better and to hell with provanance or "history". Not saying either viewpoint is "right" or "wrong" but for once i started to perhaps see why some people hold certain aspects of Old Bikes in such reverence. I still dont understand it but i do respect it.

Prefer a Puma or Vasquez Bultaco, much more my style, but i am sure the Bultaco in question has a place in history and was "special" in it's day.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

own spec.

+1 :agreed:

Plus he had free access to all the right Bultaco parts and some of the best fabricators in the industry at the time

That ain't no ordinary Bultaco - it was simply stunning in the flesh, a true Reg May 'work of motorcycle trials bike art'

Sounds cool, not to blame anyone but there is not much to see beside the older engine in a midage frame I believe, maybe you can tell us about the changes that where made to the engine, frame and suspension.

I'am interested in any changes worth, but even now a little bit suspicious about an engine with an porting-, gearbox- and crank- design of the 60's to be as good converted that he is superior to a mid 70' engine, (Bultaco made their homework too), and than mounted in a mid 70' frame like it look's now.

Sounds cool, not to blame anyone but there is not much to see beside the older engine in a midage frame I believe, maybe you can tell us about the changes that where made to the engine, frame and suspension.

I'am interested in any changes worth, but even now a little bit suspicious about an engine with an porting-, gearbox- and crank- design of the 60's to be as good converted that he is superior to a mid 70' engine, (Bultaco made their homework too), and than mounted in a mid 70' frame like it look's now.

I still don't think you understand and probably never will what a genius Reg May was when

working with a motorcycle, he was one clever man and I don't think that you realise

the differences that he could make to anything he lay his hands on, doesn't matter what it 'looks' like.

Get the picture.........???

Ask ANYONE who GENUINELY knew him and they will tell you the same I'm sure...

He built Vesty's last few modded bikes and John Reynolds modded 340 and every one tries to copy them....

I still don't think you understand and probably never will what a genius Reg May was when

working with a motorcycle, he was one clever man and I don't think that you realise

the differences that he could make to anything he lay his hands on, doesn't matter what it 'looks' like.

Get the picture.........???

Ask ANYONE who GENUINELY knew him and they will tell you the same I'm sure...

He built Vesty's last few modded bikes and John Reynolds modded 340 and every one tries to copy them....

Havent seen many, actually havent seen ANY, copies of Vestys bike.

Have riden a Puma however and i would be very surprised if the bike would run rings around one of those. They are simply superb examples of how a Bultaco could and should be.

Make Vestys bike look like a garden shed lash up.

Not trying to knock Reg May or his work and place in the history books but we have surely come a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way since then?

"""Havent seen many, actually havent seen ANY, copies of Vestys bike. """

""Make Vestys bike look like a garden shed lash up.

Not trying to knock Reg May or his work and place in the history books but we have surely come a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way since then? """

- I Think you just have!

All I am saying is that some people are compairing what he did with bikes of later times like a Puma etc which is missing the point totally.

There have been several copies of Vesty's last bult built over the years even a guy from Finland who tried to palm off a bike saying it was one of Vestys which was not the case , I also know a guy who built a copy of John Reynolds 340 , there have been discussions on here and bikes advertised in the past couple or years.

Like I said some people will never understand.....

Edited by pedronicman

Not trying to knock Reg May or his work and place in the history books but we have surely come a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way since then?

So WHY was this topic started then ................??????????? think about it!

Edited by pedronicman

Well, ... probably I'am too much continental, too much a German / Finlandswedish blend, (fahter German, mother Finnish but Swedish speaking minorety) and therefor not beeing home in one language but a little in any and so not enough for getting the point ???

In my oppinion any rider that owns a bike can do with it what he want's, some only ride with them, some are rebuilding, some are modding, some are trashing them.

Here we discuss them, and in particular the bike of the show. As stated already I like Bultaco have by the way ridden them since 1981. I'am not a fan of a special brand but do have some different distances to each of the brands and types. I would never state that some brand or model is really crappy or superior. There are brands and models that probably does not fit me, my riding style, my color scheme or just my taste but others will. So I'am always very carefully because my view is personal and can be different to others. I'am also rebuilding a Bultaco trials bike a 199b from 1981, looking thru every screw, washer and part.

While doing that I think about the whishes I have:

1. get it back to it's original status again, working properly, (I first thaught it would be possible to leave the patina but there too many issues).

2. do some improvements too.

I came to the point that any improvements has to be rebuildable, there has to be the possibility to get the bike back in a original status, because IMHO it have it's own history, second my own taste might change. I will not cut off anything from the original parts or add anything. If I want to do an improvement I get a second part where the mods will be done.

I therefor have now two forks, one standard and one which is moddded, two airboxes, three rear shock pairs, (but I'am not so pleased with the Betor replacement I have got from Spain because it is different to the original one, have to search for a real NOS one), and so on ... (the list of all the modifications does not belong in this threat IMHP, only one request I don't want to hitchhike this threat)

But I'am too a professional when it comes to construction and design, it's part of my job. So when it comes to exploration and modfication I do it serious. Most wrenching and rebuilds I do by my self, but I don't have any serious shop equipment like a lathe or a milling machine. My skills in engine repairs are limited too because I don't have a lot of experience here weather to decide if the bearing in the lower rod is OK or not. So these repairs are done by professionals and I can discuss with them improvements or modifications that a worth to do or not.

This is my background to my opinion. As already stated this hybrid looks good and could look IMHO better when having a different tank seat combo.

It is already a good information that a professional had set up this bike. Second part of the story to this bike can be what he had done for modifications, so where is the biff in this department?

Not all modifications are visible at first spot or from one side. There might be engine mods that are very interesting to know, even frame modifications, (also I will not do any), ...

That was my question, I now have the information that Reg May has done the work ... OK fine ..., but what else have he done beside of mounting an older engine to a modern frame and bodywork as it seems to be and what was his intention?If there is anybody that can tell anything about the bikes mod's it would be a pleasure for me!

Edited by PSchrauber

I really enjoy myself when people start posting stuff and prove that they really don't know what they are talking about!

As Sammy Miller once said, "give me the facts, I don't like listening to stories"!

Remember the motto: the mouth... like the throttle... works both ways!

Big John

At the recent Telford show there was a Bultaco trials bike with a chromed frame standing next to a Model 10 near to Dave Renham's stand. The front half of the frame looked std Bult but the rear was quite different, do you know the make of frame or reason for its modification.

The opening question that started all of this was could anyone identify the frame. With hindsight I should have asked Dave Renham but he was rather busy, I never associated it with Reg May which was a great pity because I was speaking to John later the same day. Personally I simply admired the workmanship and attention to detail, it was also quite a contrast to the model 10 which stood next to it.

I thought many features on the rear frame were similar to the experimental Bult later built by Reg May and ridden by Vesty. Wonder if Bultaco were aware of the bike or considered including any of the features in their production models?

Sometimes the trouble with shows is that you pay too little attention to what are really the most interesting exhibits, then later when you think about the things you have seen it is too late.

Edited by TrialsRfun

My old man used to rave about Reg May's tweaks to Bultos and certainly considered him to be in the demi-god ranks of the spanner men at making good bikes into something much more special. I know he always wanted to have one of his bikes breathed on by Reg May.

20 years later when so much more is now possible with lighter stronger materials and better technology the Puma bikes are stunning but even now I think if the money was no option I have something that had been fettled by Reg May than a Puma. I trust my old man's judgement on these things!! (anyway if money was no object I'd have both!!)

For sure Reg May was a brilliant mechanic and tuner of Bultacos, he sorted out all the Comerfords bikes for their appointed riders (Tony & Malcolm Davis; Alan Lampkin; Colin Boniface - etc etc), which also included Martin Lampkin's bikes too. If it was good enough for Martin & Co - it was good enough for anyone else!

Don't forget Julian Wigg either, he knows his way around a Bultaco motor and used to sell as many (if not more) than Comerfords direct to customer outlet!

I agree the modern Puma Racing (Jose Luis Rodriguez - to be exact) and Rafa Vasquez Bultacos - both men turn out very good products, but these bikes are built for "modern" riding habits.

Don't forget Reg was tuning bikes differently and with the tools and equipment available in the 1960-1980 period that's 30 years ago!

Just for the record, especially for the doubters and arguement people, I have personally known all four of the "tuners" named above!

Big John