Sherco 290 something loose

scotty97

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm by no means an expert, but i'd be tempted to pull the flywheel off and check your woodruff key (or keyway - see Copemech's suggestion). maybe before you do that - have you checked to see if you have a spark? Either way, i'd have a peek behind the flywheel.

good luck :thumbup:

The rattly noise I can hear on your video is just the kick start ratchet clicking, they all do this and it isn't anything to worry about.

As mentioned before check for a spark from the plug.

If there is no spark try a new plug, disconnect your stop button, then check all your electrical connectors are tight and clean i.e. not corroded.

If there is still no spark check your stator plate, have a look at the bottom of this page it goes through the readings.

If you've got a spark, try cleaning your carburettor out as you might have got water or muck in the carburettor.

Hope this helps

Chris

Cheers for your comments, il start working my way through the ideas tomorrow. yeah i may be hearing the rattle now cos theres no kick back at all and the bike use to kick back alot before this problem occurred

Just the other week I had a problem starting the bike (see my topic) went on't t'internet asking all the questions, and everyone giving their opinions. Seemed like I tried everything, carb cleaned a hunner times, new plug, getting a spark, off with kill switch etc etc. Eventually when I took it to our cheif trials mechanic he wiggled a few wires and it fired up, hasn't stopped working since. Now I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but get someone to have a wee poke round at all your wires, earths etc etc, check the wires coming out the Stator are in good condition...yada yada yada

Right new spark plug, cleaned carb got a spark

Here's a better video of the noise

Right got a flywheel pulled but struggling to get the nut off with out a rattle gun. Any ideas???

I did not hear any unusual noises there. :rolleyes:

Oil has water or coolant in it, do you have plenty fluid in the radiator?

Compression could be a bit low on this bike, as it seems to kick over fairly easily, yet hard to judge.

Can you smell fuel on the plug after kicking over? There should be something coming in there, plug may get a bit wet.

Still need to ck the wodruff key based upon you initial post, as you state you do have spark, yet possibly at the incorrect time for things to work. Make a flywheel holder or get a strap wrench if you do not have air tools, or find a mate that does.

Edited by copemech

Got some metal lastnight to make a holding tool, yeah compression does seem a bit less than usual but there's still some there.

I know I had to top rad up a little bit last time I checked which thinking about it was just before I used it last. Il pull the cap off and check the level.

If the levels low in the rad, where do I go from there????

Got some metal lastnight to make a holding tool, yeah compression does seem a bit less than usual but there's still some there.

I know I had to top rad up a little bit last time I checked which thinking about it was just before I used it last. Il pull the cap off and check the level.

If the levels low in the rad, where do I go from there????

If the level is low in the rad, then likely need the water pump seals, and your weep hole is blocked in the front of the case. Have you been riding deep water?

• 1 month later...

Right then, I know it's been a while since I have been able to work on my bike (before people start leaving early comments!!)

I have gone through most things and also had a mechanic looking at it too, this is what we found

No spark- checked earths, plug, lead, checked wiring cos wires have been cut to remove light etc (why people do this baffles me as you can get a replacement harness for cheap)

Removed flywheel- woodruff key is tidy, timing seems to be on factory setting ( will retard when bike is back up and running)

Carb is clean

Found that fuel pipe was creasing when tank was getting fitted back on bike, must be too long ( what length pipe do people fit between carb and tank

Looked down cylinder and seems to be a build up of oil, I'm putting 65ml of oil in every 5 litres of super unleaded, does other people's look like this?? Mechanic reckons that it is not burning all the oil off???

Right then, suppose to be picking up a mates coil tonight to see if replacing that makes a difference, and also printed the test instructions to test the stator at same time.

Mechanic reckons the lower compression was due to no fuel getting into cylinder, cos of creased pipe. Seems to be fine now???

Once I manage to get the bike sparking, then next on list is to find how that oil had water in it??

Any other ideas on electrical fault????

5 weeks later !!!! I'd be getting another job if youve been working every hour sinceyour previous posting.....there is such a thing as life, may i suggest you go get one.

Always "flowering it up" with a kind word , the poor chap obviously hasn't a clue , doesn't want to pull the flywheel off, maybe hasn't checked the kill switch or if it's sparking..he'll get there with time!