Sherco 290 something loose

scotty97

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel pipe routing can be critical to keep it off the muff and no kinks, make a "loop" and route it forward towadr and just away from the cyl, then back up/ over and down to the carb inlet. Takes about 6 inches as I recall. :rolleyes:

Took some readings on the stator

Multimeter set on diode check mode

Black on earth, red on plug terminal

Blue 0

Brown. 0

Black. 0

Red on earth, black on plug terminal

Blue. 641

Brown. 0

Black. 772

Resistance readings of other coils

White to red. 95 ohms

Red to green. 526 ohms

Green to White. 609 Kohms ???

Spoke to boys at sp#tshop and they said that going by the readings, it looks like it's gone faulty!!!

Anyone have similar readings to this when theirs went faulty???

Edited by scotty97

Took some readings on the stator

Multimeter set on diode check mode

Black on earth, red on plug terminal

Blue 0

Brown. 0

Black. 0

Red on earth, black on plug terminal

Blue. 641

Brown. 0

Black. 772

Resistance readings of other coils

White to red. 95 ohms

Red to green. 526 ohms

Green to White. 609 Kohms ???

Spoke to boys at sp#tshop and they said that going by the readings, it looks like it's gone faulty!!!

Anyone have similar readings to this when theirs went faulty???

Based upon your middle readings of 641,0,772, you need a hall sensor. Splat can supply an exchange I think.

This is not a re-wind, but a hall sensor breakdown. And luckily easier to detect, providind your reads are accurate.

Cheers cope, just got off the phone to Splatshop, they got one there on the shelf, so I'm exchanging my faulty one!!

Fingers crossed now!!!!!!

Good deal. Chris is doing a great job at keeping exchange stators on hand. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, fitted the new stator and she started 2nd kick. Yippee!!! Right found a few other things that I'm goin to sort at the same time, wires have been butchered to remove lights etc, so hopefully get a new harness for emergency stop. One of the dog bones bearings is knocking, I serviced these a few months back and repacked with grease so I think they may need changing now, luckily got a full set ordered through work a while ago, just in case!!

And the problem with my pinky/tan oil, mechanic reckons it doesn't seem like water in it as it normally goes milky/frothy?? Rad is holding it's water level, so any ideas????

Good news :D

My water pump seals went and the oil initially came out grey then turned the same colour as galaxy chocolate. That would be my guess, or else you might have sucked some water up through the breather pipe?

good luck :thumbup:

Can you change the seals by just opening the water pump or do you have to remove the engine side cover? Is it just changing the 2 seals or the bearing aswel????

Edited by scotty97

Can you change the seals by just opening the water pump or do you have to remove the engine side cover? Is it just changing the 2 seals or the bearing aswel????

Good you got'er up and running!

Na, you gotta the cover. There is a good guide in the tech tips pinned above with pics for pump seals..

Mind you, the case vent tube really needs to run up and held over the carb, then back down to skidplate level as so shock cooling from water crossings hopefully does not cause water to be sucked back up and into the gearbox. All said, still no submarine! Fluid changes apply under these conditions. :rolleyes:

Ok il have a read of it now.

I thought it's best to change them cos a few wks before I had my problem, I had to top rad up, but I used it once or twice after that and the rad level seemed to stay level.

So know I sorted the stator I thought I'd change the seals aswel, better to be safe and all that!!!

Ordered seals, bearing, water pump cover oring and clutch case gasket.

Service my linkages to as noticed a bearing had a fair bit of movement and was knocking when I put bike up on van.

Finally spent the day working on the bike, started with changing water pump seals, followed the guide in the pinned section and it was quite straight forward.

Then I tackled the electrics, ripped out all the wires that wasn't bring used, old light harness etc and replaced with the little harness from the Splatshop, much neater.

Then it was linkage bearings, managed to change the dog bone bearings but struggled to get the two bearings out from under the swinging arm, so have to get some threaded rod and try them again. Also fitted new chain guide as it was worn through.

Hopefully take it out for a hour this wk sometime and make sure it's running ok, and then I got some boysen reeds and slow throttle to have a play about with, also want to try retarding timing slightly!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got out on the bike today, finally!! Nice weather for it to, got a few miles from the house, and had a puncture in the front tyre!! Gutted, I'm sure my bike is jinxed?? Ha

On my motox I used to buy extra thick inner tubes,, can you get these for trials bikes???????