spark loss

richhall

Hi all,new to this site and hope somebody can help.

have a 1981/82 swm 240 whose spark keeps disappearing,have done the usual points condenser and stator coil behind flywheel,ignition coil and all associated wiring replaced with new items. the engine has had a few mods ported ,bored to 280cc barrel jacked and squish band altered to suit.flywheel skimmed as well so i am wondering if this is where the problem lies, if it is loosing its magnetism.

has any one else had this problem?

noted somebody has fitted an electronic ignition system to there swm(in this forum)does anybody have any more info on this??

also is the aprilia climber rotax engine electronic ignition?and would it fit this rotax?? the aprilia txr 311 deffo had points but a better clutch operation.

hope some one can help

Rich Hall

hi i had similar problems with a 240, i rewound the stator but still had trouble then bought a new one from martin with points and condensor, this solved the problem then it developed a severe misfire. this was down to the condensor.

i also have a climber motor that i used for the clutch assmbly, (a lot lighter opperation) but the flywheel is dished the opposite way and the windings are mounted to the outer cover. looked like a lot of work to make it fit.

hope it helps

matt

hi i had similar problems with a 240, i rewound the stator but still had trouble then bought a new one from martin with points and condensor, this solved the problem then it developed a severe misfire. this was down to the condensor.

i also have a climber motor that i used for the clutch assmbly, (a lot lighter opperation) but the flywheel is dished the opposite way and the windings are mounted to the outer cover. looked like a lot of work to make it fit.

hope it helps

matt

thanks for reply matt dont suppose you have any pics of the climber fly wheeland windings and outer cover?

half the fun of these bikes is improving them !!

Rich

Edited by richhall

• 3 months later...

Hi, have owned my 320 for 4 months and have found that I need to clean the points (faces) before every trial, no clean no spark. Runs very well for the whole day, no probs. Leave for a few days & no start, clean points and away she goes. I suspect the condensor is on the way out but the points do not look blued/burnt and it does run/start a treat after cleaning the points.

Hi, have owned my 320 for 4 months and have found that I need to clean the points (faces) before every trial, no clean no spark. Runs very well for the whole day, no probs. Leave for a few days & no start, clean points and away she goes. I suspect the condensor is on the way out but the points do not look blued/burnt and it does run/start a treat after cleaning the points.

Check that the breather is fitted, and take it up under the tank.

I also put a smear of silicon on the flywheel cover face, try these and you shouldn't have to clean the points every time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same deal going on but sounds like a lot more sporadically then every ride. this time I have put on a bigger diameter breather and a fresh flywheel cover - so will see where that gets me.

I do want to relocate the condenser and will replace points and condenser as a matter of course as well.

• 6 years later...

Hi,all

I have own Aprilia Climber 240. Also lost the spark , checked the plug, took the flywheel off and cleaned everyparts, coil and burn-in. Eventually I made a conclusion that *doesnt work the condenser (ECU).

I have a one question.

Please advice me how to remove the condenser that silicon bounded in the ECU box (CDI).. 

Any suggestions ?

Teru

E317CA91-3443-43E5-82B1-E9495262374B.jpeg

The Rotax engines were a bit late to get modern ignition systems, compared to other European engines of the '80s. However, they can still be made to work today like they were all those years ago if you perform the daily routines as described above, over and over again. Points and condenser often cause problems, just like they did in the old days.

However, if you are prepared to spend the money, an electronic ignition is better, give more consistent performance and is a fit and forget solution when done right. There are a few suppliers around and the price is €300-€450 for a complete kit, less if you need ignition only (no lights).

But how are you going to spend all that time in your workshop if you don't need to adjust points and change other parts on a regular basis anymore....?

On 2018/2/2 at 5:38 PM, Teru said:

Hi,all

I have own Aprilia Climber 240. Also lost the spark , checked the plug, took the flywheel off and cleaned everyparts, coil and burn-in. Eventually I made a conclusion that *doesnt work the condenser (ECU).

I have a one question.

Please advice me how to remove the condenser that silicon bounded in the ECU box (CDI).. 

Any suggestions ?

Teru

E317CA91-3443-43E5-82B1-E9495262374B.jpeg

Hi all

I’m so sorry that I can’t reply at once.

Thank you foy some good advices and I was overwhelmed with several advices.

Then My ECU was mounted to other Aprilia Climber so that I can check again my ECU unit.F

It was good working order! 

Next step, I measured zero-power ohmic value of the exciter coil (generator).

I found out some trouble and slightly malfunction. My exciter coil 320Ω (common 800Ω).

I could fix my generator by replace the exciter coil.

Thank’s a lot !

It’s done.