Clutch end plate & diesel in gearbox

beeaj

http://jalbum.net/a/911432/

Can anyone confirm the way these fit on the shaft "4", I assume the bearing 1 goes on first then 2 flat side against the bearing and then washer 3.

Also is it safe to put some diesel in my drained gearbox to flush out old oil and any tiny metal flakes that might have dropped into the clutch when I had to helicoil the case threads, I was pretty careful but might have let some small flakes drop in, is this very bad or will a flush out get them to the magnet on the drain plug.

Thanks in advance

Mike

http://jalbum.net/a/911432/

Can anyone confirm the way these fit on the shaft "4", I assume the bearing 1 goes on first then 2 flat side against the bearing and then washer 3.

Also is it safe to put some diesel in my drained gearbox to flush out old oil and any tiny metal flakes that might have dropped into the clutch when I had to helicoil the case threads, I was pretty careful but might have let some small flakes drop in, is this very bad or will a flush out get them to the magnet on the drain plug.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike,

The bearing goes on first, then the #2 washer with the wide surface area against the needle rollers. I'm pretty sure the #3 washer goes on the kickstart shaft before attaching the sidecover.

The flakes will not stick to the magnet if they are aluminum. In the future, dipping the thread tool into a little grease before cutting into the hole will usually allow most of the cuttings to adhere to the grease in the grooves below the cutters and you'll have less to clean up.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon

once again your knowledge will get me out of trouble and hopefully prevent it in future, many thanks

What do you think about flushing out the old oil with diesel or petrol?

Mike

Mike,

I never (and I mean never) use petrol as a cleaning solvent, It's probably the most dangerous fluid I work with.

The diesel could work and I think it also provides a coating on the parts. If I need to take off all oil/grease

I use paint thinner or brake cleaner (my shop solvent tank uses a water-base cleaner). The paint thinner is easy

to get and store and it's a lower flash point than gas. Petrol has heavy vapors that easily spread at floor level

and, for example, one of the reasons that, by law, water heaters in garages in California have to be put up on

2 ft minumim stands. I've seen some infrared videos of fuel vapor dispersion my firefighter buddies use for

training and it looks like the fog they use in the B horror movies for the night time cemetary scenes. I kept expecting

a gnarly hand to rise up out of the center of the drain pan....

My guess is that since you were working on the outer part of the engine case you probably should be o.k. You may want

to run some compressed air in the various drain holes and that could blow out any cuttings, although it also may lodge them

in a crevice inside the case.

Jon

Once again Jon Thanks

I don't want metal flakes in my engine OR zombie hands helping me out so I'll keep the petrol in the can!

I'll give it a flush with some diesel just before I put the new oil in and to be safe I'll change the oil pretty soon after checking all is OK

Mike