Riding buddy / trainer wanted at Horsforth

Just getting in to trials after years of road riding, and am getting my first trials bike this weekend hopefully. Then getting a towbar and bike rack fitted next week and hoping to be off in Swaine Woods in Horsforth with the bike that Saturday. But I wondered if any of the Horsforth Trials Club guys on here would be interested in showing me some of the basic ropes and stuff up at Swaine Woods on the odd occasion so that I can try learn some stuff then go away and practice. Anyone interested?

• Like 1

Hi and welcome, we go so swainy when there no trials on in the area, as long as the weather is ok, theres nearly always someone up there, always approacable, just go along and chat to some other riders. Just bear in mind that theres not a lot of grip at this time of year if its wet!

Why not come along to the novice and beginners Yeadon & Guisley trial at deer park this weekend, that will give you some idea of what level you need to be practicing at.

Cheers

Paul

If you are going up the Swainey on Saturday keep a look out for a guy called Gareth. He will be in a big blue van and riding a 2010 Gasgas 280.

He is very helpful and has guided many a club member over the years, and i am sure he will be only to pleased to advise you mate.

Have fun and don't get to ambitious early on. As said before just ask anyone for advice. We are all a friendly bunch in trials.

Hi Jonabonospen

Swainey can be evil at this time of year- certainly if it's rained. Rather than Swainey woods, why not try Parkwood 4x4 Centre at Tong near Bradford. It's open this weekend (Saturday 12th March) from 10 til 4 and it's perfect for riders of any level because you can always find a surface that you're happiest with to practice on. The have around 100 acres of land to play on and there's just about everything you will need there. Here's their site. I've no doubt that there'll be loads of lads there who would otherwise be at Swainey.

By the way, I'll second Nige's comments (Trials UK) on Gareth (Shaw). He was absolutely immense when I first bought my bike and he spent a huge amount of time showing me the ropes, setting out little sections and building my overall confidence. He's a cracking bloke and he wouldn't hesitate to help you. Look for the big blue LDV van with a dint in the rear door.

Edited by Mikey

Cheers for that heads-up Mikey about Tong. Maybe this Saturday would be an ideal day for me to go to Swaine Woods if most people will be at Tong. That way I can make a fool of myself with nobody else about. Just going to have to see how my time goes this week, but I hope to get out for my first ride on it on Friday or Saturday this coming week. Just very nervous about riding a bike off-road and stood up on the pegs. Strange really when I am used to much more dangerous speeds tear-arsing around the roads on sportsbikes.