Chris Leighfield

charlie prescott

Hi Guy's

Chris has lost his long 14 year battle with cancer and sadly passed away yesterday.

Out thoughts are with his wife and daughter Sarah, who has kept me informed over the last few weeks since Chris was unable to mail me, has he did on a regular basis.

Chris was one of the stars of Midlands

Sorry for your loss and to Chris' family as well. We make so many great friends through this great sport and sharing their memories helps us all appreciate the mates that we have today. Andy, it would be nice to have a place to remember them, perhaps an "In Memorium" thread.

I knew Chris when he first started riding in Trials with the Castle Bromwich Motor Club when we were both 14 in the early 60's. We used to have events at the old brickworks at Kingsbury when we were both 14 and too young to ride on the road. Chris moved on to the Birmingham MCC and I rode for Solihull MCC until we started Sutton Town MCC but we we remained good friends and competitors over the years while he gained support with Sprites and Cubs. Chris's bike preparation was always top notch and you could guarantee his bike would be immaculate at the start of the second day in a two day event.

Chris emigrated to Australia in 1972 and was Aussie Open champion three years running in the early 70's. Like the rest of us when we get a bit older he turned to Classics and won the Aussie Classic title 7 years on the trot. I caught up with him again when I emigrated in 1980 and found that I still couldn't beat him.

As Charlie said, he built three Villiers engined, Bantam framed Vibsa's which were all superb in appearance and I bought the first one which I called V1. We had some teething problems with it which Chris insisted on getting right and he persevered until everything was fixed which was typical of Chris.

He generously responded to all technical queries from many guys over here and nothing was too much trouble for him to try and sort out.

Chris finished his working life at car maker General Motors Holden in Melbourne as a power plant (engine) engineer a couple of years ago to continue his battle with his cancer.

I was speaking to him only a day or so before his passing and he was still telling me things about bikes and my regret is that I am unable to attend his funeral as I have just returned to the UK.

The trials community has lost a great guy and I have lost a great mate but my thoughts are with wife Chris and daughter Sarah.

Sincerely

Roger Galpin

I entered that bike,Vibsa 1, in a best presented bike competition that the Logan River MCC put on for its 35th anniversary event in 2009 and it won two awards for best presented and best Classic and I sent the best presented award down to Chris for his display cabinet.

As someone said it was immaculately put together.

Roger Galpin

Hi Guy's,

Well this is the last bike that Chris built, and only finished a couple of months ago.

VIBSA (3). And what a credit to his workmanship, it is!!

Regards Charlie.

:agreed: Never knew the guy but RESPECT to his standards of workmanship. The owners of these bikes should count themselves lucky.

• Dislike 1