Dellorto PHBL26bs weirdness?

sherco29

I just stripped my carb down off my 2001 315. I got this bike used not to long ago.

When I got it, it was missing the small airfilter that leads to the port across from the airscrew?

I rigged a filter for that, but now that I have it all stripped down it seems that port does not go anywhere? Just bottoms out. I soaked the carby and blew threw everything?

Now Im wondering if I have something screwy??? Not the original carb??

Also, there was no emulsion tube under the pilot jet??? There should be right??? All diagrams I have found show one!

Bike starts, idles etc ok even with all this weirdness? Though the airscrew had very little affect thus me tearing it down.

So I am trying to order the emulsion tube along with a gasket set...not easy in the USA. The one shop that sells the stuff does not have a listed phone # so I get to wait for an email reply!?!? Ugg.

Anyways what do I have going on here???????????? :wall:

This hole does not go through???

DSCN2919.jpg

Is this the original carb?

DSCN2923.jpg

DSCN2922.jpg

Edited by sherco29

The blind hole issue is no problem. Those are just the un-drilled ports for having the carb mounted the other way around on a different bike. On a bike with the exhaust on the left-hand side as you stand over it you'd want to be able to get to the adjusting screws on the right of the bike, so the carb manufacturer makes the casting so it can be used either way around depending how it's drilled.

Are you sure the PHBL has the sub-air filter? It's on the earlier PHBH for sure but I can't see any spare inlet for it on your pics. Also if you have been looking at a schematic of the PHBH then that has a 2ndry, emulsion tube type jet under the top pilot jet. The PHBL doesn't have that 2ndry jet.

The carb that you've got is the correct one. PHBL.

Well my bike had the bracket for the filter up near the rear brake MC? It was bent back out of the way when I got it. Where would that hook to on the carb?? A fitting in the red circled hole above??

This is the diagram I have been going from. Also have a 2002 owners manual that I got with the bike. Did carbs change between 01 and 02?

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/images/dellorto/explview/PHBL-ExplViewLG.gif #5 is the possible missing emulsion tube? Does this place have the wrong diagram??? Its the only place in the USA I found Dellorto stuff.

Edited by sherco29

Yup I think the carbs changed in 2001. On your carb the mixture screw adjusts the fuel, not air, and should be about 3.5 turns out.

Not at all clear from that Dellorto schematic is it?

Edited to add it looks like they changed in 2000 actually.

Edited by Wherry

Well my bike had the bracket for the filter up near the rear brake MC? It was bent back out of the way when I got it. Where would that hook to on the carb?? A fitting in the red circled hole above??

Did you not understand what I said about those holes?

Sorry I understood...just trying to figure where it may have hooked to? Seems odd my bike has the bracket for the sub air filter but no where to hook it to the carb?

I was mistaken my owners manual is 2002. I found one pic that I believe shows the fitting that the sub air filter hooks to, my carb definetely does NOT have that fitting or anywhere it could go.

DSCN2926Large.jpg

And thanks for that Apex diagram...I shoulda thought of that too. MUCH better than the one I found.

So...looks like my carb has NO emulsion tube under the pilot, and NO subairfilter just a bracket where it would of been? :guinness:

Edited by sherco29

Now I dont think I need any parts!? Will file that # away though! Should get a gasket kit to have on hand at least.

Comparing the 2 carb diagrams on the apexmotor site looks as if I am good to go. Can anyone confirm 01 315r NO emulsion tube under pilot and NO sub air filter just the bracket up near brake mc where it was on earlier bikes??

And since I have it on the bench...what is the stock jetting??

Mine is setup as follows

110main

33 pilot

117? (hard to read) needle 2nd clip from top

My riding varies from 1000ft to 6000ft majority spent around 4000

Edited by sherco29

Now I dont think I need any parts!? Will file that # away though! Should get a gasket kit to have on hand at least.

Comparing the 2 carb diagrams on the apexmotor site looks as if I am good to go. Can anyone confirm 01 315r NO emulsion tube under pilot and NO sub air filter just the bracket up near brake mc where it was on earlier bikes??

And since I have it on the bench...what is the stock jetting??

Mine is setup as follows

110main

33 pilot

117? (hard to read) needle 2nd clip from top

My riding varies from 1000ft to 6000ft majority spent around 4000

Your carb appears very NORMAL!!!! :thumbup: No prob!

Just to ease your mind, that sub-air filter feeds air (on the PHBH carb) to the needle jet emulsion circuit. Every other carb I've seen (e.g. Keihin, Mikuni) feeds air to this circuit from a dedicated intake hole in the carb bellmouth. I don't quite understand why Dell'Orto decided to feed it completely from outside - perhaps they wanted a source of air which wouldn't be subjected to pressure pulse effects from the bellmouth.

And the 2-part pilot jet (on the PHBH carb) is also a mystery to me. Why go to this complexity?

Edited by fastducs

What really threw me off on all this is that my 02 manual that I have shows a sub airfilter, and the dellorto diagram I was originally looking at must of been wrong also.

I found this cool pdf on the dellorto site.

The top link.

http://www.dellorto.it/supdoc.asp

It does say something about some carbs having a seperate idle air intake to negate the effects of the pulses in the airbox. Those carbs have one of the holes in the intake bell plugged.

Interesting reading anyways!!

I was mistaken my owners manual is 2002. I found one pic that I believe shows the fitting that the sub air filter hooks to, my carb definetely does NOT have that fitting or anywhere it could go.

DSCN2926Large.jpg

That's the same picture as in my 1999 manual, and shows the float height adjustment for the PHBH carb (which is the same for the PHBL). If you look closely you can see that that pipe stub is at the airbox end of the carb not the engine side as it would be on your PHBL carb.