beta 2010

j4amigo

just bought 2nd hand 2010 beta 290 rode on sunday and run fine ,just cleaned my carb and put back together,now it sounds like it has the choke on ? and when i compress the forks and lean forwards it trys to stall like its flooded, any advice anyone ?

just bought 2nd hand 2010 beta 290 rode on sunday and run fine ,just cleaned my carb and put back together,now it sounds like it has the choke on ? and when i compress the forks and lean forwards it trys to stall like its flooded, any advice anyone ?

Sell it and buy that 2010 sherco we looked at saturday me old mucker lol

Best bit of advise ever is: DONT clean your carb if bike is running fine.

The carb is a fully sealed unit and if bike runs fine, the carbs fine and there is no point or benefit to removing and 'cleaning' it (again if it runs fine it's 'clean')

There are people on here who clean (or say they clean) their carb after every ride. There really is no point and zero benefit to doing this. In fact, as you have found, this is more likely to cause a problem as the sealed unit (the carb) is opened and there is every chance that some dust or muck will get in it and balls it all up.

IMO the only time that you should ever take your carb of is if there is a running problem with the bike, other than that its fully sealed and only has fuel running through it so why would it need cleaning and checking?

Once you clean your bike, start it up and if it runs fine I'd say leave it.

I'd guess you have some muck in one of the jets or maybe moved the slide during the dismantling and reassembly process.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

The carb is not all that well sealed. Don't get all in a bother. Usually the worse the problem seems the more obvious the fix. Take the carb off and do the cleaning/setup routine again paying careful attention to detail. You will have to do it several times a year with the Keihin so you might as well get good at it. The Keihin is a finicky beast especially in the presence of water. The pilot hole in back of the slide on the Keihin is tiny. Seriously it's tough to see even under a microscope. That's why it's important to clean the carb with a good source of dry compressed air. Anything that can carry moisture like drug store grade isopropel alcohol which is a significant percentage of water is a no no. My guess is when you take if off this time you'll find some simple mistake like the needle sitting in the slide wrong or a hose clamp not installed properly. just be careful and precise and remember cleanliness IS godliness when working on a carb.

Edited by Dan Williams

check the brass insert in the carb. body,which the throttle needle goes into above the main jet, has not fallen out.I had this happen and it caused me a right load of grief.I thought it was an interference fit and not ment to come out!Luckily we found it on the floor. :blush:

Just like to say m8 mega bike i have the same and love it ! I dont take carb off all the time m8, before each trial take the draain bolt out the bottom, can still do this with carb on, nearly everytime you will find a blob of water in it then maybe every 3rd trial take carb out and give a good clean, its recomended that you clean them out as the are a carb that easily soon stops running right, if you go on beter uk website when you take carb apart will show you how to set them up. It sounds to me like needs setting up as mine did exactly the same to i set it up and if it doesnt give good clean out and that should do it. I find on my evo nevermind how you clean them will still get the tinyest bit of p.water in the carb and only 5 second job to take bolt out the bottom.

p.s easy way to get carb off thake air box off, only 4 allen key bolts when mudguard off then with this off you can give the air box a good clean inside and also allcan get to clean inside of exhaust e.t.c with it off and makes it 100 times easyer to get carb off

check the brass insert in the carb. body,which the throttle needle goes into above the main jet, has not fallen out.I had this happen and it caused me a right load of grief.I thought it was an interference fit and not ment to come out!Luckily we found it on the floor. :blush:

Ha Ha i had this happen to me aswell....took me a bit of time to work out what was wrong..The bike would run,but was missing and popping like mad...

I take the carb off after every time i wash the bike and blow out with compressed air. Takes five minutes at most, also wash out air filter box and reoil air filter.

I've also found the kelein carb to very senative to water and needs to be spotless to get the best out of it...

Best bit of advise ever is: DONT clean your carb if bike is running fine.

The carb is a fully sealed unit and if bike runs fine, the carbs fine and there is no point or benefit to removing and 'cleaning' it (again if it runs fine it's 'clean')

There are people on here who clean (or say they clean) their carb after every ride. There really is no point and zero benefit to doing this. In fact, as you have found, this is more likely to cause a problem as the sealed unit (the carb) is opened and there is every chance that some dust or muck will get in it and balls it all up.

IMO the only time that you should ever take your carb of is if there is a running problem with the bike, other than that its fully sealed and only has fuel running through it so why would it need cleaning and checking?

Once you clean your bike, start it up and if it runs fine I'd say leave it.

I'd guess you have some muck in one of the jets or maybe moved the slide during the dismantling and reassembly process.

The carb is NOT a sealed unit!

Ha Ha i had this happen to me aswell....took me a bit of time to work out what was wrong..The bike would run,but was missing and popping like mad...

I take the carb off after every time i wash the bike and blow out with compressed air. Takes five minutes at most, also wash out air filter box and reoil air filter.

I've also found the kelein carb to very senative to water and needs to be spotless to get the best out of it...

Yep I had the same problem too. lost it when I was practicing and got a bit of water in it. It was darkish in the woods and lost the brass bit for good!.

you should see it when you look through the carb a brass insert should stick out where the needle goes in.

Mine ran but was very very rich ran a little better with the Choke on.