Cota 348 Front Brake Cable

bpilgrim

Ben, Mine has a made up cable. I measured it and the exposed length is 240mm and the centre to centre distance on the brake arm is 90mm.

where the mudguard stay bolts to the top of the cast fork tube there are two lugs. In between these lugs and the mudgaurd stay there is a steel bracket that extends to the rear where it holds the brake cable outer sleeve.

I can take a snapshot and post to your facebook page.

The overall length of a front brake cable is:

Inner cable = 1075 mm

Outer cable = 675 mm

The correct mounting location for the lower adjuster is to the rear fender mounting boss on the left hand fork leg

Length of the front brake stay (center to center)is 194 mm. FYI ... front and rear brake stays are the same length.

The overall length of a front brake cable is:

Inner cable = 1075 mm

Outer cable = 675 mm

The correct mounting location for the lower adjuster is to the rear fender mounting boss on the left hand fork leg

Length of the front brake stay (center to center)is 194 mm. FYI ... front and rear brake stays are the same length.

Thanks for that, my front brake stay is 195mm, the inner cable is 1060mm, and the outer is 685mm (excluding adjuster), which is odd because it means the length of the exposed cable (the difference) on mine is 375mm and your difference is 400mm, yet mine is already too long... hmmm

I wonder whether the brake actuator arm is on a spline, everything else is the same, so maybe that has been adjusted... I'll go and find out.

I wonder whether the brake actuator arm is on a spline, everything else is the same, so maybe that has been adjusted... I'll go and find out.

It's not on a spline, and I've compared it to a spare 348 brake plate and it seems exactly the same. I now really don't know why the cable seems so long...

Ben, Mine has a made up cable. I measured it and the exposed length is 240mm and the centre to centre distance on the brake arm is 90mm.

where the mudguard stay bolts to the top of the cast fork tube there are two lugs. In between these lugs and the mudgaurd stay there is a steel bracket that extends to the rear where it holds the brake cable outer sleeve.

I can take a snapshot and post to your facebook page.

Hi Alex, I've measured what I think the exposed length should be and 240mm seems about right. Could you post a pic to facebook of the steel bracket you mention, as mine doesn't have that bracket, the mudguard stay has just been drilled instead.

I've just noticed that the ebay listing for the cable states Cota 348 1976-78, although In Motion said mine is 1977, I actually think it's more likely 1979, with the build number being 13'030.

If this is the case, what's the font brake difference between the 1976-78 and the 79 model?

Edited by BPilgrim