Bike Trailers and Racks - too dangerous?

johnnyboxer

Just read another report of a bike theft in Stolen Bikes section on another dirt bike forum - chap reckons he was followed home and 'marked'

Is it getting too dangerous to use a trailer or rack and put your wares on display...............seems following you home is a popular way for these to 'mark' your place and nick your stuff

Are you more wary, doing a double loop to shake off unwanted attention?

I must admit whenever I see a bike on a trailer or rack - I always have a good look to check it out and i'm the pikeys do too

They do it with trades too, follow a van and see where it stops and then drive past. Come walking back and into the van , steal what they want and then jump back into car and gone ! Yeah it happened to me once.

cruel world but the only way i think you can stop it if you have a box trailer.

and just to add in :) i had my garden fully emptied by some pikeys what cut down my next door neighbours trees .

well it was a good job they didn't take my bike because i left it in the garden overnight covered up and the thieving scum even robbed the glass coasters of the table including the table and chairs and parasol then the night after the two trailers got locked up and stuff got put in the shed with the shed alarm.

sam

It's the world we live in I'm afraid.

Been followed home myself - but I was watching for them (aware of the potential) instead of doing a loop I dived into a layby (pull in to side of road is the same as) to make the 'suspect vehicle' pass me then I immediatley pulled back out and took its number then give him the full blue beam on and off - over and over again.

He did a handbrake turn and smoked his wheels as he ( with hand coving dipped head) raced away.

Notified the Police of what had happened too - so the car could be linked to other crimes if possible.

They didnt 'visit' me in the night as I had clocked onto them before I was pulling up at home.

Be vigilant get insured and lock down your machine in your place of storage.

(just a pity we can't wire them up to 240V live :shutup: !)

Best

GAW.

I took my brothers road bike for it's first service at the dealers in town and after picking up the bike I was followed back to work by another biker.

When I came out of work there were two black lines where the bike had been previously double disc-locked .. ...no bike.

Boy, was I popular with my brother.

240v works both ways if you forget. Mate of mine did this years ago to his metal garage door, then came around on the floor having forgotten so disable the power

I drive fairly quick n keep a general eye on who is following me, but its still pot luck.

I think clubs could help with you having to show frame n engine numbers when joining or change of bike. This coulde be added into a small fee and the data base held here on ?. The police attended a trial once and a number of bikes were taken away.

I think clubs could help with you having to show frame n engine numbers when joining or change of bike. This coulde be added into a small fee and the data base held here on ?

An ACU database would be easier. Then I'd feel I'm getting something for my money.

I think, as i've posted before, not only being followed home ,but also spectators at a trial, what better way of somebody picking what bike they fancy,doesnt matter if your in a van etc, your spotted before it goes in the back.

I think, as i've posted before, not only being followed home ,but also spectators at a trial, what better way of somebody picking what bike they fancy,doesnt matter if your in a van etc, your spotted before it goes in the back.

A man of experience