New Tyres

adam1

Hi all,

I need a new set of tyre's, just wondering which ones are best, think my tyre's have tube's in but not 100% sure as never changed the tyre's as i have only had the bike since christmas. How can you tell if they have tubes in or not?

cheers Adam

your rear tyre will be tubeless and front tubed (probably)

regarding which is best. Again all depends on where you ride and how etc.

Michelins are very good and seem to be the tyres of choice on rocks etc, so if you derby, yorkshire etc the Michelin all round is maybe best.

The new X-Lite I believe is as grippy as the standard Michelin but seems very puncture prone.

IRC are (IMO) better than the Michelins on the rear, but again depends where you ride. Where I ride there is no real rocky trials and the IRC grips amazing in the mud/

Dunlop never used and dont see that many being used (round here anyway) think (sure someone can confirm or correct) that lots of riders use them in Scotland for the 6 days trial cant remember why but think they stay on the rim when punctured.

I ride Michelin on the front and IRC on the rears.

As Des mentioned if you're at a new rider standard, chances are you wouldn't notice the difference. Michelin and IRC are similare in price (gone are the happy days when an IRC rear tyre was

As Des mentioned if you're at a new rider standard, chances are you wouldn't notice the difference.

So go for Vee Rubber, cheap and cheerful and highly unlikely you'd be able to tell the difference in price while riding :thumbup:

mich on the front and a irc on the rear are a good combination.my son used them in the scottish champs and the irc grips as well on rocks as well as mud.dont use cheaper makes as they are not worth the money unless you are doing very easy routes where grip dosnt matter as much.

mich on the front and a irc on the rear are a good combination.my son used them in the scottish champs and the irc grips as well on rocks as well as mud.dont use cheaper makes as they are not worth the money unless you are doing very easy routes where grip dosnt matter as much.

What pressure does he use in the rear ?

Ross

I also have Michelin front and IRC rear. Anytime I go below 5 psi it goes flat on any drop offs or steps. Its getting annoying now, a new rim tape is on order.

(Note to self - learn to leave it at 5 or 6 and forget looking at every one elses nice flatish Michelins)

When you do decide on a tyre, it may be worth getting your tyre supplier to fit it, many trials dealers will do this free of charge for you if you take in the rear wheel.

No one has mentioned the Pirelli MT43 rear yet, my bike came with a nearly new one fitted. I rode the bike in the snow back in december and the grip was amazing! It is a very hard tyre compared to the IRC, it rode and lasted well in normal conditions. It is just a shame it didn't grip very well in the wet mud and thats all we have where I am!

I have a dunlop on the front at the min and run it at 6psi but it looks flat and you can nearly push the tyre off the rim like its not on the rim properly. I have a michelin x11 on the rear and this seems bob on being run at 4psi. Think a x11 on the front and one on the back or and irc on the rear will be my choice, think the front has a tube as its got a tyre bolt fitted? and the rear doesn't and the tyre says tubeless. Are these tyre pressure's correct

Adam

What pressure does he use in the rear ?

Ross

Tubeless IRC has better/stiffer sidewalls than the tubed version, some of which are ok and some of which have sidewalls like toffee.

So the tubeless IRC can run as low as 2-3psi if you're light enough. I can run one at 3-4psi with no problems at over 17 stone.

Tubed version depends on whether it has the floppy sidewalls or not. If it does, 5-7psi will probably be needed otherwise it will roll around like a drunk on a Friday night when on cambers or rocks. Obviously grip in mud suffers when running at these pressures. If the sidewalls are ok you should be able to go down to 4psi. They will soften with use though, particularly with a lot of roadwork.

Still the best all round rear tyre in my opinion. Pretty unbeatable in mud, even when seriously worn they still grip. On a par with the others on rocks.

Michelin probably best for the front.

Tubeless IRC has better/stiffer sidewalls than the tubed version, some of which are ok and some of which have sidewalls like toffee.

So the tubeless IRC can run as low as 2-3psi if you're light enough. I can run one at 3-4psi with no problems at over 17 stone.

Tubed version depends on whether it has the floppy sidewalls or not. If it does, 5-7psi will probably be needed otherwise it will roll around like a drunk on a Friday night when on cambers or rocks. Obviously grip in mud suffers when running at these pressures. If the sidewalls are ok you should be able to go down to 4psi. They will soften with use though, particularly with a lot of roadwork.

Still the best all round rear tyre in my opinion. Pretty unbeatable in mud, even when seriously worn they still grip. On a par with the others on rocks.

cheers for that, just ordered a x11 front then going to order a irc rear, any model?

Adam

cheers for that, just ordered a x11 front then going to order a irc rear, any model?

Adam

IRC don't have different models, they just do one tubeless and one tubed version.

Assuming your bike still has the original tubeless rear wheel, you can only fit a tubeless, tubed type tyres won't fit properly to tubeless rims.

Thanks Woody

I have one of the toffee tube type, and even at 5psi make cambers interesting.

Will try 6, still a good tyre overall.

Ross

I also have Michelin front and IRC rear. Anytime I go below 5 psi it goes flat on any drop offs or steps. Its getting annoying now, a new rim tape is on order.

(Note to self - learn to leave it at 5 or 6 and forget looking at every one elses nice flatish Michelins)

When you do decide on a tyre, it may be worth getting your tyre supplier to fit it, many trials dealers will do this free of charge for you if you take in the rear wheel.

No one has mentioned the Pirelli MT43 rear yet, my bike came with a nearly new one fitted. I rode the bike in the snow back in december and the grip was amazing! It is a very hard tyre compared to the IRC, it rode and lasted well in normal conditions. It is just a shame it didn't grip very well in the wet mud and thats all we have where I am!

do not get anyone else to fit it, learn how to do it yourself, its easy with a beader. Any new tyre shound be used once/a few times then turned utilising the new edge "twice" its what you really pay for, a sharp edge.