noisey fan, is this normal ?

myzeneye

had my first proper outing on my bike yesterday.... it was great... but what i did notice was that when the cooling fan kicked in it seemed a little noisey... like schreeching plastic sort of sound...?

should /am i able to lube it, if so, where do i lube and what should i use ?

or is this normal for it to be a bit noisey....it seemed to be spinning fine and only kicked in periodically for short bursts at a time.....

at least one good thing, i could tell it was kicking in and working ! better then not hearing it spin at all i suppose !

also, one other small thing......

is it possible to repostion the carb at any other slight angle as getting access to knock the choke off after ive put it on from a cold start is a tad fiddly to say the least...or is this again normal and simply not the best of designs...?

as always, any guidance is greatly appreciated... :thumbup:

Edited by myzeneye

The fan is most likely on it's way out. They are pretty well sealed so lubricating is very difficult. In fact I've never managed. Shame it's not so well seal that water can't get in in the first place as that's what's knackered it most likely. You'll know when it fails as the screeching will stop.

The fan is most likely on it's way out. They are pretty well sealed so lubricating is very difficult. In fact I've never managed. Shame it's not so well seal that water can't get in in the first place as that's what's knackered it most likely. You'll know when it fails as the screeching will stop.

cheers big foot....thats a bummer, there a few quid from what i can gather.... <_<

its not terribly loud or screechy, its just noticlible... is a "good" fan fairly quiet then ?

could it just be a wonky fan blade ?

Edited by myzeneye

cheers big foot....thats a bummer, there a few quid from what i can gather.... <_<

its not terribly loud or screechy, its just noticlible... is a "good" fan fairly quiet then ?

could it just be a wonky fan blade ?

Not sure your year, but you need to inspect closely that the blades are not hitting the plug lead or the shroud if getting the whirley sound.

I have seen plug leads worn in half by misplacement!

Not sure your year, but you need to inspect closely that the blades are not hitting the plug lead or the shroud if getting the whirley sound.

I have seen plug leads worn in half by misplacement!

thanks....ill take a closer look.....never thought of that kind of issue.... :rolleyes:

1. Spin the fan by hand and see if it is hitting on the ty wrap that hold some of the wires as if it slides down slightly the fan blade could be hitting the ty wrap when the fan blades flex slightly.

2. For the choke fix. (I saw this in a photo that someone had on here). Drill a small hole in the choke lever (toward the end) and then put a small ty wrap through the hole. Pull the ty wrap tight. The tag end of the ty wrap makes it easy to pull the choke lever back down without having to take off gloves or fish your finger up and behind the lever to turn it off. If this does not make sense let me know and I will post a photo.

1. Spin the fan by hand and see if it is hitting on the ty wrap that hold some of the wires as if it slides down slightly the fan blade could be hitting the ty wrap when the fan blades flex slightly.

2. For the choke fix. (I saw this in a photo that someone had on here). Drill a small hole in the choke lever (toward the end) and then put a small ty wrap through the hole. Pull the ty wrap tight. The tag end of the ty wrap makes it easy to pull the choke lever back down without having to take off gloves or fish your finger up and behind the lever to turn it off. If this does not make sense let me know and I will post a photo.

thanks, it makes perfect sense.... never thought of doing that... do you have a picture tho, idlike to see it before i start drilling holes in me bike...hahaha

as for the fan, it spins freely and i cant see it being in contact with anything... :(

thanks, it makes perfect sense.... never thought of doing that... do you have a picture tho, idlike to see it before i start drilling holes in me bike...hahaha

as for the fan, it spins freely and i cant see it being in contact with anything... :(

See photos below of the choke lever with zip ty modification. Very high tech :thumbup:

img00173201103231731.jpg

img00174201103231731.jpg

• 2 months later...

g'day mate.just bought a new sherco 290.it is either a '09' or a '10' R version from europe.i have/had the exact same issue with that distinct nasty noise but fan still functioning normally.just took the seat and tank off and the fan is easy to access.from there u should be able to see a rubber boot on the back of the electric motor.remove the boot and spray crc into it.there must be crap on the brushes within the motor or somethin as mine is fine now and have had no trouble yet...any questions just email me mototrials101@hotmail.com good luck!!!