full face helmets ?

myzeneye

hi folks....

ive read a few threads debating the use of full face lids and as i can gather, the general majority of riders prefer the standard open face trials helmet for obvious reasons of visibilty and movement....

im new to trials and can agree with them issues, but ive just been watching some vid's on youtube and seen some bloody horrendous crashes that did make me think.....

i saw a vid with adam raga

which looked just bloody horrible !!!

allthough im not attempting anything like the riding mr raga pulls off im sure my falling off skills could give him a run for his money.....hahaha...

anyway i probably wont, but it did make me think weather or not i should wear a full face lid....

does anyone else wear one or is it just a plain old no no on the trials scene.... :unsure:

if you do wear one, which one do you wear ?

edit: after a search on here i see this has been covered before...sorry.

:rolleyes:

but form what ive read it seems only the guys in the u.s will tend to go for the full fat option.....are there many folk on the uk trials scene who wear them ?

or am i just barking up the wrong tree....? :gay: hahahahahaa

Edited by myzeneye

Here in uk you be a man n take it on the chin. To be fair you aint going to do Raga type sections.

Try both and you will find it a disadvantage as full face are desgined for further vision requirement, unlike open face desgined for wide short vision.

Here in uk you be a man n take it on the chin. To be fair you aint going to do Raga type sections.

Try both and you will find it a disadvantage as full face are desgined for further vision requirement, unlike open face desgined for wide short vision.

hahaha take it on the chin.....

yes i know i aint gonna be doing any world class type sections but im quite sure ill be able to do some world class falling off !!! hahaha

ive bought my lid, its an nau overkill, fits well and has plenty of vision....

but after having a pretty serious road bike crash im now quite a wuss when it comes to watching vids of poeple getting hurt, never used to bother me, but now i guess i can relate rather well to the shock and pain im whitnessing...hahaha

as i said, my lid is an open faced trials helmet, but seeing adam raga do a horrible face plat onto rock and not have any chance at all put his arms out etc made me think....going over the bars can be very easily done, i dont think id enjoy it :blink:

oh well, i guess ill just take it easy... :icon_salut:

I have both styles of helmet and im quite happy to wear what ever i feel like on the day, coming from an MX/Enduro background i feel alot safer wearing a Motocross helmet for obvious reasons especially when out practicing, but i suppose it depends on the type of stuff you ride. It doesn't take much to knock ya teeth out if your pushing yourself and trying out new stuff and personally I don't think you can ever have enough protection if your a beginner. :icon_salut:

As mentioned though a full face helmet does have its major disadvantages sometimes, and they really do restrict your view on certain sections, I've seen alot of people riding with a Downhill bike helmets because they have a lower mouth piece than a MX one but still offer mouth protection, You can pick a 661 helmet cheap enough.

Start with a full face until you feel safer and more confident then buy an open face :thumbup:

In my first year of biketrials their was a german guy wearing a full face helmet to protect his recently broken (and still repairing) jaw. I watched in horror as he nose dived a gap and got a broken nose and cheekbone. One in a million chance that the only bit he had uncovered on his face took the impact.

He later said he just couldn't see well enough to judge the gap right so it probably caused the accident. On the other hand the full face would probably of stopped the broken jaw that he already had.

Any protection naturally restricts which makes us slower to react, less agile etc so I think its finding the balance that gives you adequate protection whilst also allowing you to be specially aware.

If your happier in a full face go for it, you may start a trend. I'd happily wear one in the Scottish if its raining.

Neat concept, but probably not good for trials with the unremoveable neck seal. It could be my next helmet for my dual sport bike.

It doesn't take much impact to a tooth to kill it requiring an expensive root canal. Then that tooth will become brittle and can crack requiring extraction and then the even more expensive bridge or dental implant.

It doesn't take much impact to a tooth to kill it requiring an expensive root canal. Then that tooth will become brittle and can crack requiring extraction and then the even more expensive bridge or dental implant

Sounds like you shouldnt be crossing a road. How about thigh boots to protect your knees :thumbup:

It doesn't take much impact to a tooth to kill it requiring an expensive root canal. Then that tooth will become brittle and can crack requiring extraction and then the even more expensive bridge or dental implant

Sounds like you shouldnt be crossing a road. How about thigh boots to protect your knees :thumbup:

hahahaha..... :rolleyes:

i got a dead tooth :)

• 1 month later...