Sherco Flywheel/ Ignition Cover

paxdad

I am getting ready to CNC/machine a T-6061 flywheel cover for my 04 125. My stock plastic cover is distored and requires RTV to seal it up with the o-ring in place. I will use the existing plastic cover for the root file dimensions. Since this will be made under CNC I will probably produce at least 3 or 4 additional pieces depending on spare time at work. However, I want to see if these are available in the aftermarket space. I don't seem to be able to find any out there on the internet. If available can you tell me where you have seen them avialibe in the US? Thanks.

Ryan used to have some several years ago. Someone was making, but they were way expensive at 2-300 range.

The older style had the wing piece for chain guard built in. Not neccessary as the new ones don't.

The newer covers, '06 up I believe, are a bit better designed and overlap the case a bit with an outer lip. One of these may make a better pattern to copy. I may have one as spare.

What would be interisting would be to make a bit deeper cover to get an added flywheel weight in there for the big bikes. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Chewy has a old Beta flyweight laying around?

Edited by copemech

nice one they are all crappy to this day. Reckon you're going to have a lot of Swarf by the time you've finshed. Havn't heard or seen anything similar ..looks like the job is all yours.

Based on the block size to start with the Swarf will rapidly pile up. Have you ever seen a solid wheel made? The amount of residual milling is crazy. Hopefully will start on it the first week in April.

Ryan used to have some several years ago. Someone was making, but they were way expensive at 2-300 range.

The older style had the wing piece for chain guard built in. Not neccessary as the new ones don't.

The newer covers, '06 up I believe, are a bit better designed and overlap the case a bit with an outer lip. One of these may make a better pattern to copy. I may have one as spare.

What would be interisting would be to make a bit deeper cover to get an added flywheel weight in there for the big bikes. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Chewy has a old Beta flyweight laying around?

I will try and accomodate added space on the inside however the give up is the increased external dimension in relation to where the shift lever is oriented to the cover as this has a bevel angle to it.

Based on the block size to start with the Swarf will rapidly pile up. Have you ever seen a solid wheel made? The amount of residual milling is crazy. Hopefully will start on it the first week in April.

I ve seen a wingspar for A340 airbus billet milled spindle speeds of 50k rpm, magnetic flux spindle bearings, bearings 2" cutter, full depth plunge, 2 metres /min feed. My footpegs are enough for me; one footrest billet starts at 500 grammes and finishes at 105 grammes. After copemech's comment I feel guilty for having nothing regarding flywheel weights... on that subject wasn't one of the Spanish manufacturers who last year announced (effectivly) a variable rate flywheel.... I guese this would be opposite to a moped/scooter clutch effect... I would want a lot of flywheel on bottom end and none on top end of revs..interesting one that!

I ve seen a wingspar for A340 airbus billet milled spindle speeds of 50k rpm, magnetic flux spindle bearings, bearings 2" cutter, full depth plunge, 2 metres /min feed. My footpegs are enough for me; one footrest billet starts at 500 grammes and finishes at 105 grammes. After copemech's comment I feel guilty for having nothing regarding flywheel weights... on that subject wasn't one of the Spanish manufacturers who last year announced (effectivly) a variable rate flywheel.... I guese this would be opposite to a moped/scooter clutch effect... I would want a lot of flywheel on bottom end and none on top end of revs..interesting one that!

Enough said.... I am just a hack that has access to a full machine shop with a lot of professional machinist. I think they like to watch me try things for entertainment. Since I am the VP of Safety they only let it go so far as not to hurt myself or someone else! I like to think it helps me have a better understanding of what they do and the hazards associated with the craft.

As someone in the plastics industry I think the 05 & earlier sidecover are a pretty poor design, the sprocket cover can pack with mud & lever the back open which then lets water etc get fired straight at the flywheel, also the residual stress from moulding causes it to bend outwards over time

The 06 onwards covers also have stiffening ribs on the outside which go a long way to minimising any distortion

I remember the alloy covers RYP sold but don't think they've been available at all in the last 5 or so years

Enough said.... I am just a hack that has access to a full machine shop with a lot of professional machinist. I think they like to watch me try things for entertainment. Since I am the VP of Safety they only let it go so far as not to hurt myself or someone else! I like to think it helps me have a better understanding of what they do and the hazards associated with the craft.

Yes, I have a new one here if you would like to use it for pattern.

Yes, I have a new one here if you would like to use it for pattern.

Copemech,

Hold tight as I may take you up on the offer in lieu of taking mine off which has untold amount of RTV around it. I was going on spring break first week in April and my son was not going to ride so timing to take it off was good.