Montesa 4RT Best bike you have ever owned?

gooseneck

Montesa 4RT Best bike you have ever owned? I think people give the 4rt a bit of a hard time but i have had my 4RT since new (2005) and has not missed a beat! Build quality is un-beatable and in my opinion the best bike for grip around! Excellent suspension, ride, and looks! I think they deserve a bit more credit for a 6 year old design!

Edited by Gooseneck

Spoken as somebody who has not tried to ride in Southern mud I presume?

HA Ha, iv seen plenty of southern mud jordi, i think its all about knowing the bike, using the right gear, revs, clutch etc. Theres always grip to be found somewhere!

Best for grip...??

- come and ride it over the winter months in Midland Centre muddy trials. You may change your mind.

Build quality. Generally good, but

- My 2005 suffered a kickstart mechanism failure that smashed the crankcase. Yes it had the mod and no it wasn't through neglect. I did get a replacement engine for no charge which was excellent, but it should never have happened in the first place.

- The clutch was awful, regardless of what oil. On or off, no progression/feel. No excuse for producing a trials clutch like that in this day and age. Wasn't much better than the old TLR250 clutch.

Overall they are a reliable bike, but not easy to ride for the avaerage Joe, especially in this centre (where there aren't many being ridden now - few people bought a second one after the first) Front suspension I didn't find any better than anything else, but rear was the best at the time. High tickover was a pain which meant using the clutch a lot (not ideal, see above...) and the power delivery was too sharp which, along with constantly having to use the clutch, didn't help grip

For outright build quality and reliability it has a long way to go before it will beat a Yam TYZ. Most reliable bike I've ever had and its ability to soak up abuse was amazing. And as a design, it was still winning nationals six years on. So the 4RT has a way to go yet.

HA Ha, iv seen plenty of southern mud jordi, i think its all about knowing the bike, using the right gear, revs, clutch etc. Theres always grip to be found somewhere!

That goes for any bike doesn't it????? i can use the right gear, revs, clutch etc on my scorpa and get loads of grip as can anyone on any bike.

I think its horses for courses to be honest, i've ridden a few 4rt's including my mates dads ex dibs bike and I couldnt get on with any of them and its not that I'm not used to 4t as I have only just gone to a 2t in the last 10 months. but I find the power comes in one big lump and they are HEAVY.

obviusly a load of people like them tho cos there were loads at the pollock trial today at kinlochleven.

That lad Bou seems to be a reasonable rider on one tho :thumbup:

Edited by thespikeyone

I think you just managed to get trapped in the 4RT fan club Alan? As mentioned, its all about what YOU prefer, I am one of those who adore the 4RT, tried going back to 2 stroke last year and despised every second of it, the early 4RT's 05 had a few teething issues, on off clutch being the main problem, however a

I think you just managed to get trapped in the 4RT fan club Alan? As mentioned, its all about what YOU prefer, I am one of those who adore the 4RT, tried going back to 2 stroke last year and despised every second of it, the early 4RT's 05 had a few teething issues, on off clutch being the main problem, however a

Must agree with you the 4rt brings a smile to your face, the only other was my 520 KTM. Just bought an eve 4t 300, build quality, well you gets what you pay for. It is easier and lighter to ride but still no smile. Maybe that grows on you while you are trying to get it restarted. My 2006 repsol had a terrible clutch until I changed the plates for the 2005, no problems for over four years, still cleans up like new.She will be coming out of retirement if I cannot get the Beta clutch to work.

Mike

I agree with whats been said about the clutch being snappy and being heavy compared to others. But yes it does certainly bring me a lot of enjoyment and so far would not swap for a new two stroke. The only two stroke i do fancy riding is the good old TYZ in the back of the garage! :P Happy Days! :thumbup:

Money no object I'd have a 4rt for my marking out / training bike, it'd have to be altered a fair bit from out of the box though. You'd never see me ride it in a Trial as I'd plumb for a 2 stroke every time & that would include the SSDT.

• 4 months later...
Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Don't know yet. Just waiting for my 2012 repsol to arrive from BVM.

Only had 2 strokes before, but I only mess about in the clubmans and in the woods at home in the winter. The summer is for track days on my Ducati.

Just like the noise and orange bits really!