TL250 Honda rehab

sherco29

Fergie - An excellent Idea to machine down an old sprocket and save $75 (everything on ebay is around 'plus $20' to get it from US to NZ . I'm happy to keep to the 520 chain upgrade (good chain and front sprocket is OK). However - and I'm going only from dead reckoning here as I haven't any reference to a measurement of exactly how dished an OEM sprocket is - I think the spacer needed might be close to 2cm or 3cm. I don't know exactly as I don't have an original sprocket to compare it with. A large gap could also mean that the sprocket bolts out of the hub wont be long enough. Good idea none the less. I will measure the space needed once my ebay swing arm (USD$115/one woman owner/never been twisted/all threads good/ all bearings round) arrives in a week or three time. Thanks. Ross

[TL250RearSprocketKit_JPG_w180h135.jpg

Looks to be a good 3/4"

Thanks for that. At that distance it makes sense for the sprocket to bolt to the spacer - hence four new bolts in the photo- while the spacer users the standard nuts (that fit to the bolts out of the hub).

Edited by Ross Brown

It is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

DSCN3167Medium.jpg

DSCN3170Medium.jpg

DSCN3169Medium.jpg

It did not want to run off choke at 1st. Coughed and snorted and then cleared out. Seems to be purring good now. What a tractor! :P

Need to tweak my front fender a bit as its hitting the frame. The side panels are far to brittle to ride with. So need to ghetto-fab something up for them.

Steering feels funny to me...sorta wants to flop over to full lock. Sorta got used to it but need to mess with rear pre-load and maybe raising the forks in the trees????

Edited by sherco29

It is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

DSCN3167Medium.jpg

DSCN3170Medium.jpg

DSCN3169Medium.jpg

It did not want to run off choke at 1st. Coughed and snorted and then cleared out. Seems to be purring good now. What a tractor! :P

Need to tweak my front fender a bit as its hitting the frame. The side panels are far to brittle to ride with. So need to ghetto-fab something up for them.

Steering feels funny to me...sorta wants to flop over to full lock. Sorta got used to it but need to mess with rear pre-load and maybe raising the forks in the trees????

Ghetto-fabbed up some side panels out of some recycled uhmw plastic I had laying around. Turned out ok...for a rider!

Used T nuts in the lower grommets to bolt to. And then for the top front I used a long bolt with a barrell nut that I thread a shorter bolt into to clamp it against the tank. Right through the grommets.

Worked pretty slick.

After bending my fender bracket to level my fender I found I probably have it on the wrong way round...o well its on! :wall:

She is running good. Still not happy with the steering. Its a pusher and likes to flop to full lock...think I need to jack up the backend a bit more...

DSCN3174Medium.jpg

Edited by sherco29

hey,

i think i figure what reply to use.

yes,i am getting ready for Crookedriver.went riding today.plenty of sunshine and warmth on the coast.the trails were not to muddy.

had fun.

you can drop the forks in the triple trees.see if that helps.

see you next Friday.

later.

Shane

Sherco forget about 'maxing out the preload on your rear shocks' to get it to steer. Just go out and buy a swingarm from a thumbnail photo like I did...

I went to look for my new mudguards at the post office today. The mudguards had not turned up after almost three weeks since ordering from the UK. But the replacement swingarm had just come in. The clean grey one on the left is the OLD swingarm. Note the weld marks on the left hand tube from a previous owner's patch-up work half hidden under the new grey powdercoating. This is the reason I did not risk applying heat and straightening it. Just in case the earlier welding came un-stuck. So on the basis that a fix-on-a-fix might be more trouble that it is worth I went shopping on the web. But surprise, surprise. The shock mounts have been altered. IMG_5859.jpg

The shock mounts have been reinforced and raised 35mm. I didn't spot this alteration when I looked at the For Sale thumbnail. Caveat Emptor. To be fair to the seller, a US parts firm, they probably didn't look that close and realise it wasn't stock. Anyway, its here on the other side of the world now. It is straight and on the plus side, it will help sharpen the steering using a standard-length shock.

IMG_5860.jpg

I will fit it tomorrow and hopefully - fingers crossed - it will all line up.

Of course, with all that gusseting and extra steel my TL will now be even heavier!

Edited by Ross Brown

Ya, maxing out the preload on the rear shocks helped...lil more would be good though! Its soooo top heavy compared to my Montesa LOL I may just need to get used to it more! :guinness:

TL's are only good til you ride something better...and then you just gotta love it for what it is. Only wish mine was street legal.