SWM TL320 1982 - a few updates and notes.

reginald

My SWM TL320 1982 has had a few updates so heres a few notes for others that maybe doing similar.

New tyres michelin front; IRC rear, new wheel and str. head brgs., new chain and sprockets, new EBC brake shoes, fuel tap, new rear guard and new stickers.

Heres a list on some of the work to date.

1. Stg. head brgs. not available in Oz [supplied from Martin at SWM moto].

2. The sprocket I had on the rear had a steel insert /hub which offset the sprocket from the hub approx. 2mm. When I replaced with talon sprocket without a recess I used 2mm thick washers and ground them on one side so the chain wouldn't foul on them.

3. Sprocket bolts were loose when i went to change them and they had been tightened in the last year and the manual says this is an issue on a solid [no cush drive] hub so I'll need to keep an eye on them.

4. rear wheel was out of alignment with the cam adjusters so eyeballing and measuring between springarm pivot and axle [allowing for angle] has got it pretty right.

5. I have replaced the chain buffer on the swingarm with M.C.S brand Honda part with bolts replacing self tapers. It does keep drifting inwards towards the engine and the ridge for the rollers pulls the chain over slightly [say 5-7mm] but its wearing a new path anyway.

6. The rear guard repo. is a couple of inches shorter than the original - no biggie and looks better.

7. The thread type screw fuel tap has been replaced with I assume an enduro tank reserve level which is no worries really [i put it straight onto reserve and only have a 1 litre in for comp.]. I needed to remove 2-3 mm from the lever so it doesn't foul the decomp. under the tank.

8. I'm now running the fork tubes flush with the top triple clamp rather than 5mm thru and really at my level I cant feel the difference.

9. Counter-shaft was a bit stubborn but a bit of sikolene penetrative fluid overnight and a heat gun on the nut and the rattle gun got it.

10. as previously stated the clutch has Barnett friction plates 301 22 10001 and xr 600 valve springs has given a light clutch with no slipping in the top gears [not ty 175 light but not bad]. Oiling the cable ever 2hours also helps.

11. I have on lots of occasions lost spark due to condensation on the points in QLD Austrlia's unusually wet weather with heaps of humidity. A bit annoying but if she doest start in the first 3 kicks I get that cover off and use a business card to wipe the points dry and away she goes.

12. I had already replaced the standard SWM cap which was shorting all over the place with a cheaper $5 one and no worries there any more. Also shortened the spark plug lead considerably to keep it off the head.

Overall I'm very happy with the ease of maintenance and the handling and engine on this machine.

The next modifications will be a handlebar riser [up and forward] or an old school 7inch rise bar [very rare these days]. I also replace the front guard and side panels eventually and the flywheel cover. I also having a new bash plate fabricated out of 6 mm aluminium plate.

Image here:

http://www.trials.com.au/forum/download/file.php?id=6045&mode=view

Thanks to "Feetupfun" for all the shed time and the help with the how to tips and Martin at swmmoto for parts and advice. Also the original owner Steve whose sweet looking TLR can be seen on the first and subsequent pages on the link I have embedded.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Reginald

The next modifications will be a handlebar riser [up and forward] or an old school 7inch rise bar [very rare these days]. I also replace the front guard and side panels eventually and the flywheel cover. I also having a new bash plate fabricated out of 6 mm aluminium plate.

Mark

Curious to know what height you are, as I have always found 6" Renthal's to be perfect.

(I'm 6'3")

Ross

I meant 6'4" +1mm

G'day,

At 6 4 + 1mm what do you weigh? I'm 97 kilos and have 40 pound springs on falcon shocks with the preload maxed out and am contemplating going to 50 lb. What do you run as shockies and any ideas on rates??

Cheers

Mark Casswell

G'day,

At 6 4 + 1mm what do you weigh? I'm 97 kilos and have 40 pound springs on falcon shocks with the preload maxed out and am contemplating going to 50 lb. What do you run as shockies and any ideas on rates??

Cheers

Mark Casswell

Hi Mark

Just checked again and back down to 6'3" about 82 Kg.

I have Rockshocks with dual rate springs 45/55 and pre-load at a few turns from minimum.

Never have any experience of Falcons so cant comment.

I first got Rockshocks for my B40 and liked them so much got a pair for the SWM.

I think in the distant past I have used higher bars, but didn't like them and put them on something I was selling (as you do)

Personally I would think about lowering the footrests rather than raising the bars, but it depends how original you want to keep it.

Ross

G'day,

Cheers

Mark Casswell

40lbs springs are too soft for your weight. I'm about 110kg and if I get on a bike with 40lbs springs there is no travel left. I use 60lbs springs on Falcons

Are they renthals? And do you want to sell them.

Red Renthals but I suspect their revised shape (!) after use on a few bikes makes them not worth having as other than a spare in case of emergency.

Hi Ross,

Thanks for that - yeah prefer to not modify the footpeg location so I gunna go for raising the bar.

On that do you know of any wider pegs that would bolt straight on?

I reckon from the replies [thanks everyone]and feetupfun's advice I'll test the falcons with 50lb springs and then perhaps get them rebuilt.

Thanks Mark

Hi Ross,

On that do you know of any wider pegs that would bolt straight on?

No. but it's pretty quick and easy to weld on an extension (if you have a welder and grinder)

just did mine a couple of weeks ago. Went from being a pain to not noticing them at all.

Which is always a good sign, I think.

Think 50lbs springs might still be to soft.

Ross

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have been meaning to register on here for ages and finally pulled my finger out and got it done.

Here are some pics of my 82 TL320 just prior to Conondale(CD7) last year, I gave the old girl a bit of a tidy up and fixed some of a previous owners mess ups and returned a lot of the bike back to a more standard and reliable config.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

Hey Reginald, you bringing your TL320 to Conondale for CD8 mate?

It would be nice to have another SWM in the crowd of Yamaha's!!

I sold my TY175 a few months ago and will have my KT250A2 up there this year as well.

Hi guys, I have been meaning to register on here for ages and finally pulled my finger out and got it done.

Here are some pics of my 82 TL320 just prior to Conondale(CD7) last year, I gave the old girl a bit of a tidy up and fixed some of a previous owners mess ups and returned a lot of the bike back to a more standard and reliable config.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

Hey Reginald, you bringing your TL320 to Conondale for CD8 mate?

It would be nice to have another SWM in the crowd of Yamaha's!!

I sold my TY175 a few months ago and will have my KT250A2 up there this year as well.