Marzocchi fork manual 40 mm

sdeane01

That may be difficult without knowing which for you have. Even GasGas used differnet internals in their forks year to year. I have ridden the Ossa and it feels so completely unlike a Marzocchi that I am sure they have changed the cartridge as well (don't know for sure). A quick and sure way to speed up the fork is to use lighter oil or remove one of the washers in the stack, but as I said earlier, the model or year of fork and from which bike is pretty essential info.

Spencer

Just chasing setup and fork seal replacement on Marzocchi fork 40 mm that are on gasgas, ossa and sherco 6 day. Anyone know where to get a copy or advice on set up to make rebound quicker etc?

There's some info at: http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html on the Marzocchi's. You might try 2.5 weight fork oil but I'd be a little leary of removing a shim from the rebound stack. To do it safely you might need some special holding blocks for the cartridge body (they grip the tube without crushing it) some replacement shims as it's always better to replace a shim with a different thickness/diameter than leave it out (and you need to know which shim to replace as it's not an intuitive process).

There are other ways such as polishing the inner tube and the outer part of the springs etc. but that may be more than you want to do. If rebound is too fast, you'll have to deal with increased deflection and "skating" with the front tire so there is a point of diminishing returns.

Jon

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

so there i was this afternoon with an hour to spare so decided to change fork seal (long overdue) 40mm Marzocchi alloy stanchion (JTG 2013) ..simple job then realised only had 10weight fork oil or ATF...went with 10 weight but way too thick...has anybody tried ATF?

so there i was this afternoon with an hour to spare so decided to change fork seal (long overdue) 40mm Marzocchi alloy stanchion (JTG 2013) ..simple job then realised only had 10weight fork oil or ATF...went with 10 weight but way too thick...has anybody tried ATF?

ATF is approximately 7.5 weight and has good lubricity and an anti-foaming agent so you could try it as an experiment.

Jon

I put 2.5wt in left leg and 5wt in right on a gas gas

thanks Glen thats where i ended up.......just a note re lip seals...the OEM seal is 52.25 Od (a standard engineers supply lip seal is 52.15) the seals are specified as 40 x 52 x 10 double lip seal) they get craftier as time ghoes by!! so I tightenedthe spring...te he..

PS although I love the jotagas it will soon be time to change.....can the 250 gasser be detuned a bit ...want smoother bottom end like the JTG.....different head insert?...flywheel weights...?????

Hi Chris

Start with the cheap stuff. A slow throttle makes a lot of difference for less than £20. Even cheaper but more hassle to fit is a 1mm base gasket quite effective on the bigger bikes.

After that flywheel weight, longer front pipe or low comp head. Had a low comp head on a 300 once but didnt like it, seemed to build revs more quickly.

Have you ridden one as the 2014 280 is much softer than the 2013,