Backpack weight

mexmex

I was just out (twice) with full prep backpack / Camelback and it's HEAVY!

The backpack carry:

- Combination of 24mm spanner, 10mm Allen (front/rear wheel)

- Bicycle type multi-tool (Allens, flat and Philips screw drivers)

- 10/13mm open spanner

- Small, long nose wise-grip

- Epoxy plasticine (about 30gr)

- CO2 pump with 2 bottles

- Small and super light bicycle air pump

- Spark plug (in carrier)

- Spark plug spanner

- Front tube

- 3 small metal tire irons

- Tubeless repair kit (dog poo)

- 2 chain links

- 1.5 liter of water

- Rain jacket + extra gloves

When I go Enduro, it's way lighter, since I'm running bib mousses so no any puncher repair elements.

It's quite bothering I have to say...

Can I take something out or it's better safe then sorry?

Thanks again and see you soon.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a bicycle inner tube, cut it up into small peices to wrap around tools such as the tyre levers, bicycle pump, co2 bottles ect and strap them somewhere on the bike! Wrap something around the spare tube and have that on the seat area of the bike - makes a small area for you to sit too!

I wouldnt strap anything to your bike.

You are going to ride the sections so you can take your bag off before you ride the sections.

There is no point strapping everything to your bike and it being heavier in the sections.

Your bag will get lighter as the day goes on as you will have drunk the 1.5 litres of drink.

I normally just set off with a litre of drink in my bag and there is plenty of water at the petrol stops and then you can fill up your backpack again at the lunch stop.

What you need is:

front tube

tyre repair strips/dog turds and tool

good pump and c02 bottles

adjustable spanner, this will undo your rear wheel and will fit all other nuts

allen keys

screwdrivers

split link for chain and pliers

spark plug

These are the essentials really

Hope this helps

sounds like you've got the right stuff, i'd ditch the i.5 ltrs of water and only carry 500ml, the petrol stops normally have loads of free bottled water so you dont need to carry much, the adjustable spanner is the best solution to all those spanners ( take a drill or hack saw to the handle if its bulky / weighty) put the split link on the throttle cable , make sure you can actually pump up the tyre with your super light pump ie take the tube out at the front and refit and see if it works same with your co2 stuff . you ''l be taking the bag to the top of each group of sections as you inspectthem and leaving it there whilst you ride the sections, meaning that you'll only wear the bag when riding between sections/ groups. dont forget something to eat for a little bit of energy chocolate bar/ chewing gum/ banana.

sounds like you've got the right stuff, i'd ditch the i.5 ltrs of water and only carry 500ml, the petrol stops normally have loads of free bottled water so you dont need to carry much, the adjustable spanner is the best solution to all those spanners ( take a drill or hack saw to the handle if its bulky / weighty) put the split link on the throttle cable , make sure you can actually pump up the tyre with your super light pump ie take the tube out at the front and refit and see if it works same with your co2 stuff . you ''l be taking the bag to the top of each group of sections as you inspectthem and leaving it there whilst you ride the sections, meaning that you'll only wear the bag when riding between sections/ groups. dont forget something to eat for a little bit of energy chocolate bar/ chewing gum/ banana.

The 24mm - Allen combo is lighter than an adjustable one. But drilling it it's a good idea.

I found that most of the weight comes from the tube + tire levers + water. Good idea to carry only 0.5 liter of it!

Thanks for all the advices guys.

Whatever tools you take make sure you try them out in the garage first. Might find you can't get everywhere with a bulky spanner etc. Will the plug come out with an adjustable spanner? I welded 20mm stub cut off the large allen key needed for front spindle to an adjustable and also welded screw driver blade to it to make a multi tool. Drilled handle as well

2 tyre levers should suffice.

Puncture repair patch also weights nothing but maybe handy if nobody is able to give you a new tube if you puncture early on in the day.

Tie wraps essential - bit of rope/strapping again weighs nothing but may allow you to tie round rear wheel/tyre if tyre comes of the rim to get you off the moors.

Worth running slightly higher front tyre pressure to avoid needing to use puncture stuff

What a co incidence ..I've just come in from my little workshop where I.ve been drawing up a profile for a 3mm thick flat spanner one 24 af hex one for spark plug, each end overall lentgh 130mm (pocket size) one 13 AF I wanted it to be "universal" so am trying for usable 14mmm & 16mm for float bowl drain as well but as some of you know getting a big spanner into a little gap with cold wet hands can be tricky. I always used to carry a 20mmm length of allen key for front spindle and turn it with a spanner and can accomadate this into my little project. Water is heavy so I agree use the fuel stops and carry absolute minimum. Two small tyre levers are enough;... is anyone going to be running with Tyre Jhonnys,,also as I understand it Dunlop is rear tyre of choice for SSDT as they stay on rim better when flat. Nice to find some conversations about SSDT at last.

hi there carry a spare air filter wieghs nothing and very handy if wee get a wet one also put it in a carrier bag with some kitchen roll to dry out filter box in the event off changing it hope the weather gets better here or your going to need a jetski and snorkel dont have nightmares cheers gary :beer: :beer: :rotfl:

Get a thicker tube in your front tyre and carry Dog Turds for the rear, never carried a tube for years!!

The rest has been said, try and carry the right spanners, Spare Plug, Fluid, Spare Gloves and thats about it.

I would advise NOT to strap anything to the bike unles you ride like that all year round <_<

The 24mm - Allen combo is lighter than an adjustable one. But drilling it it's a good idea.

I found that most of the weight comes from the tube + tire levers + water. Good idea to carry only 0.5 liter of it!

Thanks for all the advices guys.

Ditch two of your three tyre levers and the gloves and jacket.

trials tyres are easy to fit, to remove you can use the end of a spanner and one tyre lever,remember you will only be removing a front tyre on the course if its punctures already so dont worry about the tube. You only need one tyre lever to refit a tyre, you can stop it sliding with your knees. Spare gloves might seem like a good idea but if its raining proper ssdt rain its pointless as by the time you put them on they will be as wet as the ones you have just taken off :rotfl:

Finally dont ever leave the parc ferme without wearing your jacket, the weather changes fast so I would wear it rather than carry it.