199A rear engin mount

bondy

hi all ive got a 199A 350. year 1980 i took the engin out for rebuild. when i put the engin back in the frame. i replaced it with the metel one witch was ok. my question is the one i took out was alloy was this an original? are was it a mod?

hi all ive got a 199A 350. year 1980 i took the engin out for rebuild. when i put the engin back in the frame. i replaced it with the metel one witch was ok. my question is the one i took out was alloy was this an original? are was it a mod?

As I know the rear engine support is made out of steel, (it's steel on my model 221 and on my model 199b). There should be the Bultaco logo stamped on the outer side which faces to the tire, then it is original, (once again at least on the 221 and 199b model which I have).

As I know the rear engine support is made out of steel, (it's steel on my model 221 and on my model 199b). There should be the Bultaco logo stamped on the outer side which faces to the tire, then it is original, (once again at least on the 221 and 199b model which I have).

The original factory fitted rear engine mount on the Bultaco 198/199 - 198A/199A models were cast alloy.

I have had these bikes straight from the crate!

Big John

bondy -

The engine rear mounting bracket was originally alloy. This was a casting, with only limited ability to "nip" the rear of the engine, with the almost inevitable result that the engine would end up "loose" in this bracket.

If left unattended for long enough, the vibration/movement of the engine could wear the inner faces of the bracket and make the problem even worse - and then the head steady would probably break as well.

Hence the change to a STEEL bracket - a great improvement, in my opinion.

(On all the Bults I've owned with the cast bracket, I've replaced with steel, as the originals were worn beyond saving by "loose" engines.)

Edited by Lorenzo

bondy -

The engine rear mounting bracket was originally alloy. This was a casting, with only limited ability to "nip" the rear of the engine, with the almost inevitable result that the engine would end up "loose" in this bracket.

If left unattended for long enough, the vibration/movement of the engine could wear the inner faces of the bracket and make the problem even worse - and then the head steady would probably break as well.

Hence the change to a STEEL bracket - a great improvement, in my opinion.

(On all the Bults I've owned with the cast bracket, I've replaced with steel, as the originals were worn beyond saving by "loose" engines.)

thank you all for clearing this. id allready replaced mount to the steel one. the only reason i asked was i sold the ally one on ebay. and the person that got it said it wouldnt fit his 199a thanks again

After reading this thread I went and looked at my 199A. It has the aluminum bracket. I can't get too worried about it since it's lasted over 30 years, but I'll look for a steel one since I'd like to paint the frame anway. Is it a Bultaco part? From a different model?

Motovita -

Please don't lose any sleep over your alloy mounting - it may well be perfectly OK, of course.

You will see readily if there's been any engine movement at this point when you dismantle for painting, anyway.

My own bikes that I referred to earlier were bought on the cheap and were previously owned by guys for whom "maintenance" was an alien concept, apparently........

The steel bracket is an original Bultaco part, introduced (I think) on the the later 198a/199a models; it was certainly in use by the time of the 199b.

I imagine it would be available through your usual parts source(s).