Fantic 200 loss of sparks.

andy m

I am trying a Fantic 200 t/s out . I lost the sparks today, then it fired and then stopped again a couple of times. I disconnected the kill button and checked connectors. Now there is no spark. Electrics are not my strong point. I was wondering if there is anything on the 200 twin shock that plays up?? It was a pig to start at one point and then got worse. Thanks.

PS Thanks to Jon V8 off here for towing me back to the car park today... :thumbup:

I am trying a Fantic 200 t/s out . I lost the sparks today, then it fired and then stopped again a couple of times. I disconnected the kill button and checked connectors. Now there is no spark. Electrics are not my strong point. I was wondering if there is anything on the 200 twin shock that plays up?? It was a pig to start at one point and then got worse. Thanks.

PS Thanks to Jon V8 off here for towing me back to the car park today... :thumbup:

No worries - glad to help.Shame it packed up,it was a good trial in a really nice place.Dabber in the Bath club has just had his 240 stator done by West country windings,they seem to be the favourite place for them.

If you have a metal can dansi coil, this is probably the culprit, not the stator. if the new stlye ducati plastic couil is fitted then look at the stator.

Diosconnect all three wires at the coil and get a multi meter. Green to black should be 40-60 ohms. Thats the trigger coil. Red to black is primary coil and it should be 400-600 ohm. Black to ground should be zero resistance. Look at the green wire carefully as the plastic likes to fall off. If the ohm readings are ok, try a new coil first. I can send you one to borrow for the price of the postage . PM me your address.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Lee Harris

Before condemning any electronic component I clean all ground points,including ignition to engine case(requires removing flywheel)and engine to frame. Ohms is a ok test but you need a good enough connection to flow small amounts of current and voltage to signal the spark to happen. )Zero ohms with the amount of electrical pressure provided by the multimeter may not be zero ohms once real current starts to flow.

I have obtained another coil to try off a 125 fantic that is currently stripped, I don't know if it is a good one though. It is slightly different to the coil on my 200, it is a Dansi with 3 screw terminals. I don't have the 3 screw terminals on my coil it has 3 wires but is sealed on the end (metal coil, no name on it)?? I wired it black/earth and then tried the green and reds either way round as I don't know the correct way. On the 2 terminals there are a "c" and I think a "G". ??? No spark either way round. Not got a multi meter yet to try??

I have obtained another coil to try off a 125 fantic that is currently stripped, I don't know if it is a good one though. It is slightly different to the coil on my 200, it is a Dansi with 3 screw terminals. I don't have the 3 screw terminals on my coil it has 3 wires but is sealed on the end (metal coil, no name on it)?? I wired it black/earth and then tried the green and reds either way round as I don't know the correct way. On the 2 terminals there are a "c" and I think a "G". ??? No spark either way round. Not got a multi meter yet to try??

Bo Drinker:

I Tried to send you a private message,for some reason it won't go,send me a email through my profile and I'll get back to you.