Leaky rad

tony27

Last trial my bike got a bit hot or so I thought, was feeding it between sections & when I pulled up there was a dribble of coolant on the bashplate while the fan was running.

I thought nothing much of it other than maybe I was pushing a bit much on a hot day. Now that I'm prepping the bike for our first club champs trial I find that any coolant I tip in ends up on the floor

Took the radiator out & it looks like the fan shrouding has rubbed through at least 1 of the tubes at the bottom which I'm going to confirm tomorrow with a pressure test

I'll order a new rad off splatshop in the next couple of weeks but I'm looking for any ideas on a temporary fix to last the 1 trial before it would arrive

have used araldite with excellent results but make sure you clean up leaking area well and buff up with emery cloth first. new rad silly money!!.

Yep, clean up the area well first and it works suprisingly well.

I certainly wouldn't buy a new rad until I'd tried Araldite or had a quote for a proffessional repair.

have used araldite with excellent results but make sure you clean up leaking area well and buff up with emery cloth first. new rad silly money!!.

I had same problem six months ago on my 2008 Raga and temporarily fixed the holes with araldite. Guess what? still riding it and no sign of a leak yet. Just cleaned the alloy with white spirit and applied l blobs of araldite liberally to the holes. I had 4 bars with holes in!!!!!

Had the rad tested yesterday & there was at least 2 rubbed through tubes, the araldite trick seems to have worked so far, have warmed the bike up twice to check that the fan is cycling correctly & no leaks so far.

I was quite pleasantly surprised to see the price of a new 1 from splatshop, should take around a week get to the other side of the world. Thats quicker than if the local agent gets 1 from the NZ importer in Australia

Thanks for the help guys

Edited by tony27

Had the rad tested yesterday & there was at least 2 rubbed through tubes, the araldite trick seems to have worked so far, have warmed the bike up twice to check that the fan is cycling correctly & no leaks so far.

Great tip gents .... can't wait for my rad to leak just so I can try it :bouncy::lol:

Those rad clips that Sherco use are hard to get back on and I prefer the the traditional jubilee clips anyway. So I use the old clips on (and over) any rub/wear area on the hoses and that stops it wearing. The hose behind the header pipe (that comes up from the water pump) is the most vulnerable.

Are you guys using Rapid Set or the original (slow) Araldite?

Best of balance.

Neo

The stuff I used was 3 minute stuff, did it in 2 goes just to make sure the tubes were sealed up properly.

I rode a very muddy vmx event yesterday on my cz380 then had our first club champs trial of the year today, no leaks from the rad & 2 totally different bikes to clean. I'll never moan about how dirty my trials bike gets ever again ;)