Hard starting 4rt

lurchio

Hi anyone had any experience or problems with the 4rt being hard to start? Is it most likely to be electrical(capacitator) or mechanical(compression) or something else? When it's running it feels a bit flat and doesn't sound sharp? Any advice appreciated.

What year is your bike? I had an 05, brilliant starter, we still have as my son rides it. Bought an 09 and its a bit fickle, sometimes its starts no problem, other time you have to reset the ECU (full throttle one slow kick.) then it fires up. Sometimes it fires and the engine runs too slow before its sorts itself out. It will start everytime if I increase the tickover but by this time it's too fast to ride.

I have asked others who have had older and newer 4RT's and they say the same.

Regards

The bike is an 05 and everything is std ecu map ect. The filter is clean and I have checked all electrical conections and they all seem to be clean and dry. Is it worth checking valve clearences and doing compression test? Thanks.

Before you try anything else just try raising the tickover, it's the large brass screw on the right hand side of the fuel injection. They tickover at about 1900 rpm, if it's any lower they won't start.

If your new to the bike you need to start it with a closed throttle so the tickover needs to be right. Is it a bad starter after you've reset the ECU?

• 6 years later...
On 13/04/2011 at 7:44 AM, scraggydog64 said:

Before you try anything else just try raising the tickover, it's the large brass screw on the right hand side of the fuel injection. They tickover at about 1900 rpm, if it's any lower they won't start.

If your new to the bike you need to start it with a closed throttle so the tickover needs to be right. Is it a bad starter after you've reset the ECU?

So how do you set the tickover if you cant start the bike to start with.

Check the capacitor wiring for 'black' wire corrosion coming from the capacitor back into the loom... If there is corrosion on the wire the capacitor will also be corroded so will need replacing. You'll need to strip back the loom to find the extent of the corrosion and replace the wires accordingly. If the capacitor & wiring seem ok see if you can borrow an Ecu/throttle body to try.

• 4 weeks later...