kick back when starting

casperrasper

hi there ..when kick starting my 2008 raga 250... it gives me a good kick back ..sometimes it starts first kick other times half dozen times .runs perfect .just the start probs .any ideas out there .....cheers ,,,,casper,,,,

Edited by casperrasper

The kick back i assume is maybe just how your doing it, give it a good HARD kick, as for poor starting you could try if you dont have one allready an irridium plug, also try setting the floats in the carb a little higher. There is a set height for them which i cant remember what it is but 17mm seems to ring a bell( someone may correct me o that) if it is try 19mm which will allow more fuel in the bowl. Apart from that just make sure everything is as clean as it can be :thumbup:

Just noticed yours is a raga so maybe the carb is not a dellorto which is what i was basing the float adjustment on.

hope that helps in any way

Edited by steve1979

The kick back i assume is maybe just how your doing it, give it a good HARD kick, as for poor starting you could try if you dont have one allready an irridium plug, also try setting the floats in the carb a little higher. There is a set height for them which i cant remember what it is but 17mm seems to ring a bell( someone may correct me o that) if it is try 19mm which will allow more fuel in the bowl. Apart from that just make sure everything is as clean as it can be :thumbup:

Just noticed yours is a raga so maybe the carb is not a dellorto which is what i was basing the float adjustment on.

hope that helps in any way

thanks it is a keihin carb on it ..some time it seems as though it struggles to tickover got air screw half turn out ..cleaned all carb out .part from that runs perfect..cheers

might be worth checking the ignition timing, if its out you usually need different carb settings to make it tick over properly, this may also cause kick back when starting. I dont know what the settings should be but a call to gasgas uk will get them.

thanks it is a keihin carb on it ..some time it seems as though it struggles to tickover got air screw half turn out ..cleaned all carb out .part from that runs perfect..cheers

What is your current jetting spec.'s?

1/2 turn out on the air screw indicates a possible problem.

Jon

What is your current jetting spec.'s?

1/2 turn out on the air screw indicates a possible problem.

Jon

hi jon setting are jjh needle 2nd clip from bottom.....48 pilot.......122 main.......took flywheel off but cant check timing as its got the dual ignition .i was expecting a back plate with some timing marks .but no such thing on this...cheers....CASPER....

hi jon setting are jjh needle 2nd clip from bottom.....48 pilot.......122 main.......took flywheel off but cant check timing as its got the dual ignition .i was expecting a back plate with some timing marks .but no such thing on this...cheers....CASPER....

Sounds like jetting is o.k. but a possible lean condition somewhere in the idle/off-idle area. Keihins (when jetted correctly) usually end up at about 2.5 out on the air screw. I'm assuming you've tried a new plug set to .6mm.

I'd look for an air leak or frayed/bowed reeds. You might want to take the reeds out to check them and use a little sealer on the gaskets in between the manifold bolt holes (I don't think you may have the aluminum manifold on the 08', which prevents "bowing" of the manifold when it's overtightened-air leaks occur in between the bolt holes).

As you found, the static timing is pre-set and the different advance curves are programmed into the module. Just for the heck of it, you might want to measure, with a feeler gauge, the clearance between the flywheel and the button on the CDI trigger (Hall Effect Sensor, that little black thingie on the upper right of the flywheel.

Jon

Forgot to ask. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Edited by JSE

im 5.11 and 14.5 stone..i set spark plug .6mm .when i stripped carb again put needle on bottom clip idle jet had muck in again so i reckon i just had a bad bit of fuel .started itup runs sweet ..still gives a good kick back...

thanks for your help....casper.......forgot to say got air screw at 2 and 3 quater turn out...........

Edited by casperrasper

im 5.11 and 14.5 stone..i set spark plug .6mm .when i stripped carb again put needle on bottom clip idle jet had muck in again so i reckon i just had a bad bit of fuel .started itup runs sweet ..still gives a good kick back...

thanks for your help....casper.......forgot to say got air screw at 2 and 3 quater turn out...........

Just checking to make sure you had enough heft to spin it over easily. Speaking of fuel, you might want to drain and flush the tank and try fresh premix from a completely fresh batch of fuel (no mixing with old fuel). Stale fuel, along with fine grit to clog the pilot jet, will gather in the tanks (fuel storage tank and bike fuel tank) over time and cause starting problems.

Jon

Just checking to make sure you had enough heft to spin it over easily. Speaking of fuel, you might want to drain and flush the tank and try fresh premix from a completely fresh batch of fuel (no mixing with old fuel). Stale fuel, along with fine grit to clog the pilot jet, will gather in the tanks (fuel storage tank and bike fuel tank) over time and cause starting problems.

Jon

i was wondering why you wanted to no my size ,thought use was coming on to me .lol..thanks for all the advise ...casper....

i was wondering why you wanted to no my size ,thought use was coming on to me .lol..thanks for all the advise ...casper....

After I asked that, I worried it might be taken the wrong way.....

I know from answering many, many bike questions on the Internet that I first have to assume nothing to start with, but also look at possibilities seemingly unrelated to the core question. I'm about your size and have no problems starting my Pro but if you were 9 stone and 5'3", I could see that might be contributing to the cause. The Pros are tricky to kick over and tend to not reward uncommited effort.....:)

Jon

Said Prince Phillip to the Bishop of Canterbury.

For some dark, twisted reason, I find that quite funny!

Maybe it's just being old enough to understand the

background history and therefore, get it.....:)

Jon

My son who is 15 years old rides a 250 pro in competion, has just won a season & has no problem in doing so. He is 5ft 7 & weighs about 8 stone.It' all about set up. every body is different. I ride a 280 & he has no problem with mine either.I think you should go to Gas Gas UK & get in touch with the GURU. You know it makes sense.