honda xl 200 special

bashplate

"think i'll reward myself with a beer"

I can see that the steering head angle looks steeper. The swingarm also looks shorter than a standard Xl. But that may be just an illusion. Is it standard?

hi ross,you are correct in that the steering angle has been tightened up, but the swinger is standard, just with the wheel as far forward as it will go. the history of this bike is that it was a farm bike, and got run over by a tractor....so was pretty bent when i got it. so it seemed that while i was straightening out the frame, i might as well tweek it to make it into a trials bike.i'm very pleased with the result :thumbup: , not sure what the weight is but it's quite light and very usable. did it's first trial a couple of weeks ago (classic/ post classic)and performed well.....and was great fun. :D

cust4.jpg

cust3.jpg

cust2.jpg

cust1.jpg

here's a few pics from the cust reunion trial.

Edited by bashplate

excellent bit of work, looks realy neat and tidy

i built myself a honda xl engined trials bike in 2000, and it served me well for 6-7 years.

very good engines for classic trials, but the clutch can be a bit jerky, but reliable and easy to fix.

I like the period footwear.

LOL....i used to do trials back in the '70's, when the only thing available was the dunlop safety wellies as used by the fire brigade etc. have tried modern leather boots, but they just not what i'm used to, so got these safety gum boots (steel toe and steel insteep plate), and they only $50!!!!! :thumbup:

tongueangleLOL.jpg

Edited by bashplate

• 3 years later...

I know this is an older thread, but is that the original tank you still have on your xl200 trials? I've got a xr200 twin shock I am converting over to trials and was looking for something smaller, tank-wise. Maybe a xl125 or xl100 tank. Thanks, have a good one.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

it is the original tank.......but slimmed down and a wee bit out of the hight too. When I got the bike the tank was very badly squashed and bent, so I was looking for a slim style early XL tank, but every one I came across was rusted out real bad. So in the end the only thing holding up the project was the tank, hey ho nothing to loose by trying to mod the original (which was very good steel), so chopped straightened and slimmed. I was rather surprised how well it turned out.

Good luck with yours,

Cheers Trev